What's my Grandma's Supra worth?

paulvanmetre

Apr 4, 2013
San Diego
My 92 yr old grandma just went into assisted living and we need to sell her car. It hasn't been driven in 7 years. It is a 87 with about 23,000 miles. It is in beautiful shape besides sitting around for a long time. I believe it had a rear end accident a long time ago and has a salvage title although it was repaired very well. It also hasn't been registered in that long so if sold in CA I've been told the buyer needs to pay all the back registration fees.

The car is a 4spd auto and has fabric seats. What other questions can I answer? KBB doesnt go back this far and I haven't found any online with this few miles. Thank you all for any guidance you can offer.

Paul

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
If you take into account the buy back fees, and the salvage title, it really isn't worth all that much. It may be a low mile car, but it still is a mkiii supra.

IMO get it registered and pay the registration fees, then you can get a better idea on how much it would be worth, because I know that those can add up quickly.

Also you didn't mention what color, if it is a turbo model, and if there is any wear and tear. Tires would need replaced after sitting that long, along with a lot of service.

Include pics, and any and all info you can get on the car and go from there.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
What a stupid policy new owner has to pay fees for the car when i wasnt registerd. Got to love the Bankrupt state.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Either we are really lame for all driving a granny car. Or your grandma is really awesome to have owned a Supra, I personally think it's the latter of the two(that's what I keep telling myself anyways lol) :)

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
If it was repaired well and was garaged it could be worth a decent amount of money, not much but maybe 6k if you found the right buyer and it happens to be turbo. Find a way to get around the back reg fees and you'll be in business.

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
It also depends on if it still runs. Because mine sat for a few years and I had to change some stuff to get it to run but if its a turbo good condition and runs you'll get a good amount for it

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The registration fees may not be that much. I know here in Alabama once a car is a certain age the registration becomes pretty cheap. If I didn't have vanity plates mine would be under $30 a year. If the car is in good running shape, has been garaged, and looks like a 23k mile car should I think it should bring a pretty good amount. Keep and eye on Ebay, some low mileage MK3's pop up every now and then.

Also, post up some pictures so we can get a better idea of what the car looks like.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yeah, unfortunately this is California, everything is exceptionally expensive. My 92 supra is $186 per year in registration and taxes. When I got the car I had to fix a BHG and get it smoged before I could title it. I was four months out/over on the registration and after all the late fees(of which there are many, since everyone wants a piece of the pie, including CHP) it cost $465 dollars to get it registered.

To the OP, an out of state sale is going to be your best bet. Or if you have family that live in another state, let them take the car title it, and sell it. California is going to be brutal about selling it locally, San Diego especially.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Nai hunnid :D

Silver MK3;1929033 said:
The registration fees may not be that much. I know here in Alabama once a car is a certain age the registration becomes pretty cheap. If I didn't have vanity plates mine would be under $30 a year. If the car is in good running shape, has been garaged, and looks like a 23k mile car should I think it should bring a pretty good amount. Keep and eye on Ebay, some low mileage MK3's pop up every now and then.

Also, post up some pictures so we can get a better idea of what the car looks like.

+1