whats another option to the hydro fan?

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
hello all. can someone give me a good substitute to the whole hydro fan setup? im still thinkin of doin the 1jz swap and wanted to know what i could do if i cant get my hands on one of em. much thanks to all those with input:icon_bigg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
electric fans (the 400$ a set ones) or a fan clutch and fan from an mkiv turbo - will need a water pump as well and pulley

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you can use any p/s resovoir as long as the ports are right. as for brands i guess you mean electric? aapmotorsports had a good set i think.. mvp sells it. as for the fan clutch and fan blade i bought mine from toyota as well as the pump, the pulley i used from the driftmotion pulley set for the first swap and the n/a water pump sc300 pulley for the second

clutch fan imho is the better bang for the buck. 90$ for a new blade water pumps are 120$ i think? pulley 40$ cheaper if used and you can find a clutch pretty easily (im actually selling one but you can use any 2jzge clutch, you just cant use their blade without spacers, but even with spacers i question it heh as i bought new blades for both swaps )

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
tlo86;970292 said:
electric fans (the 400$ a set ones) or a fan clutch and fan from an mkiv turbo - will need a water pump as well and pulley

Had electric fans on my first setup...did not keep car cool. Now using stock fan w/no problems, also have heard of a couple of people having engine fires w/ elec fans.

G

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
burkeyro;970886 said:
935 Motorsports has the entire setup and sells the belts as well for Mechanical Setup:

https://935motorsports.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=79_14_144

im still curious as to what the rear assembly actually is referring to...the section that bolts to the coolant line on the back of the water pump? that comes with the normal water pump you can buy for 130$ from champion or toyotapartscheap.com (mossy toyota)?

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=1994&graphicID=E807030&callout=5&catalogid=1

im wondering if it is just a fancy word being thrown around for the water pump because i didnt start seeing that until after i had already bought the toyota mkiv water pump (that comes with the seal and o ring) and was installed on my car and ran....

jugodegolf;970921 said:
Had electric fans on my first setup...did not keep car cool. Now using stock fan w/no problems, also have heard of a couple of people having engine fires w/ elec fans.

G

what fans did you use?

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I am on electric fans. I got a used fan off a Ford Taurus. Works great, but I haven't seen the heat of Texas summer yet.

The whole set-up cost me about $80

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you really need to see numbers to see if it is adequate or not....imo

i quote from < http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=201&SearchYN=N >

"The stock clutch fan produces 3,300 CFM of air. The dual Flex-A-Lite fans produce a low 1,200 CFM. This dual fan kit produces 3,350 to 3,400 CFM!"

and i assume its 3,350 at least all the time - kind of the kit i would recommend for electric i kind of cringe when people downgrade the fan because a hot running engine is no fun...

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
well i guess the best thing to do is just order a front clip. what else will i need to get the car driveable?? just the right driveshaft and downpipe??

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
xXSupramanXx;970980 said:
well i guess the best thing to do is just order a front clip. what else will i need to get the car driveable?? just the right driveshaft and downpipe??

if front clip w/ 5 speed you will need the r154 driveshaft

the other information is all over the forum and elsewhere i suggest searching