what would be the proper turbo?

fohead

Oct 6, 2009
Louisville Ky
ok i am looking to have a litte bit more boost and power. i have a stock ct26 on stock internals with a 1.5 mm metal hg. not looking for anything huge or massive but i heared that u can get bigger ct26's that will go with stock manifold and everthing. i have a greddy profec turbo timer and boost controler, but i get fuel cut and like 12 lbs. what shuld i do?

Last edited by a moderator:

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I would go with one of the Drift Motion CT-26 bolt-on upgrades personally. In fact that is one of my current upgrades as you can see in my signature below.

Here is the link for a 57 trim upgrade, there are options for 50 and 54. IMO based on research from driftmotion, 57trim appears to be the largest upgrade that is reliable long-term for the ct26 housing. I know that CX Racing makes a 61trim CT26 and there is a long thread on here that has been going for awhile, so I think the jury is still out as to whether that is a good long-term option...

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-57trimct26upgraderebuild.php

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
gottadiesel;1514812 said:
I would go with one of the Drift Motion CT-26 bolt-on upgrades personally. In fact that is one of my current upgrades as you can see in my signature below.

Here is the link for a 57 trim upgrade, there are options for 50 and 54. IMO based on research from driftmotion, 57trim appears to be the largest upgrade that is reliable long-term for the ct26 housing. I know that CX Racing makes a 61trim CT26 and there is a long thread on here that has been going for awhile, so I think the jury is still out as to whether that is a good long-term option...

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-57trimct26upgraderebuild.php

Agreed, i also bought the 57 trim from there and its very well put together and i love the turbo!
Alot of people on here will also vouch that the CT turbo is the one you will have the most fun out of.
Correct me if im wrong but a few of the BOSS turbos also bolt up directly to our manifold and are known
to put down pretty well numbers, they have there price but you can go a long ways with them even the smaller ones.

What kinda HP goals are you thinking of?
And around what time of RPMS are you looking to feel boost?

About the fuel cut, theres threads after threads on this subject, just take a few minutes and use the
search button and you will find an answer pretty quick.

Wreckless

Master Lurker
If you're capped at 12psi by your stock fuel system, I wouldn't spend the money on an upgraded turbo just yet. I would look into either doing a nice hardpiped FMIC kit, or improve the suspension. MK3's are 1000% more fun to drive with good suspension underneath them! Same goes for fresh brake fluid, stainless lines and high-quality brake pads.

Once you get around to doing a TT Supra pump/550's & a good piggyback, then look at getting an upgraded turbo.

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
Wreckless;1514988 said:
If you're capped at 12psi by your stock fuel system, I wouldn't spend the money on an upgraded turbo just yet. I would look into either doing a nice hardpiped FMIC kit, or improve the suspension. MK3's are 1000% more fun to drive with good suspension underneath them! Same goes for fresh brake fluid, stainless lines and high-quality brake pads.

Once you get around to doing a TT Supra pump/550's & a good piggyback, then look at getting an upgraded turbo.

agreed. first get a nice 3" exhaust, intake, hardpipes n upgrade ur fmic, jus get supporting mods before you start worrying about a turbo, with that said u should get better performance with the supporting mods and a nice tune.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
aznboik1mva;1515186 said:
agreed. first get a nice 3" exhaust, intake, hardpipes n upgrade ur fmic, jus get supporting mods before you start worrying about a turbo, with that said u should get better performance with the supporting mods and a nice tune.

Yea you should def do this first, Intake,3" DP+Elbow & Exhaust, and FMIC w/ Hardpipes will make all the difference, you want your engine to be able and breath easily before trying to push more power into it.

And with just those 3-4 little upgrades you will notice more power and you will hit boost a little sooner.

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
D7MSupra;1515236 said:
The issue here is fuel cut off guys. Get a lexus afm and 550's and you can still push your stocker till the seal lets go.:evil2:

actually its "what would be the proper turbo? ", its not "how fast can i fuck something up". just get the supporting mods and see how ur car feels, if u want to go to a bigger n better turbo, then go upgrade to a nice 57 trim

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
aznboik1mva;1515249 said:
actually its "what would be the proper turbo? ", its not "how fast can i fuck something up". just get the supporting mods and see how ur car feels, if u want to go to a bigger n better turbo, then go upgrade to a nice 57 trim

+10,000

Listen to the smart ones here, and stick with getting your system ready for the extra power down the road. You wouldn't try and perform in the olympics without the training and work-out to go with it, would you?

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I agree fully that the turbo alone will not do the job you are looking for... If you have the money, do it all at once (see mods below in sig, as example of what I am in the middle of), easier in the long run then to pick away at it... but the down side is you have to come up with all the money at once and if you don't have a back up car your drive is down for awhile...

Good luck regardless...

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
gottadiesel;1515386 said:
I agree fully that the turbo alone will not do the job you are looking for... If you have the money, do it all at once (see mods below in sig, as example of what I am in the middle of), easier in the long run then to pick away at it... but the down side is you have to come up with all the money at once and if you don't have a back up car your drive is down for awhile...

Good luck regardless...

and u best have some spare money because trust, once u start pulling, be prepaid to fork out some cash for replacing

fohead

Oct 6, 2009
Louisville Ky
i have a full 3 in turbo back exhaust with a ddp, but other than that and the stuff i mentioned in the opening post thats about it. in the next few weeks i am getting a few more thing and i am trying to think of what i should get. i am deffinatly getting injectors and fuel pump more than likely a walbro 255 or tt. but i also heard that there is an electronic way to help reduce fuel cut. what would this be and is it effective?

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

o and what is a piggy back could some1 please elaborate

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
fohead;1520095 said:
i have a full 3 in turbo back exhaust with a ddp, but other than that and the stuff i mentioned in the opening post thats about it. in the next few weeks i am getting a few more thing and i am trying to think of what i should get. i am deffinatly getting injectors and fuel pump more than likely a walbro 255 or tt. but i also heard that there is an electronic way to help reduce fuel cut. what would this be and is it effective?

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

The electronic piece your talking about is a Fuel Cut defencer. There is a possible way of modifying the stock MAF by drilling out the piece that hides a screw. Unscrew it out will allow more air bypass the AFM. I'm a person who also believes that a car should handle and stop well. The supra has enough UMP to get around town. Unless your turbo seal is out or its dead, invest your money in other upgrades. The stocker CT26 is good for 300+WHP.

I made 280WHP on 10psi on the stocker with 3" exhaust, Generic FMIC, walbro 255lph, is300 coils, blitz sus filter.

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
fohead;1520095 said:

Switch to speed density.
A piggy back lets you get more tuning capablilities and allows you to use the stock ecu..a standalone a new computer that you have to tune and recreate everything. personally if you jus looking for powergoals between 300-500, id jus get a piggyback and make sure there is a good tuning shop around. and before you aproch this make sure u listen to hmong_1g, suspension and make the car suitable all around.