what to look for in used turbos

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Hey everybody,

I'm looking at getting a new turbo for my car, as the one I have is starting to smoke a bit. There is a guy localy selling a 57 trim used CT for 400cdn (about 350US). I've done a fair bit of searching and reading on the forums, and from what I gather the only way to gauge a turbo's condition without ripping it apart is to check for shaft play, check for oil leaks on the exhaust side, and general non rusty appearence.

Is there anything else that I could look for? I mean, 400 bucks for a turbo doesn't seem all that bad, especially since I can just drive over and pick it up. But on the other hand, 400 bucks for a turbo that won't last a season kinda sucks ;)

His words:

"In the pic the turbo has some oily fingerprints on it, and a bit of oil in the intake side that resulted from a lot of oil vapour blowby on my hooped engine - it came out of the valve covers and into the air intake via the PCV system. The little dents around the intake are from where they clamp the compressor housing to machine it larger to accept the 57 trim compressor wheel. Turbo spins freely with little/no shaft play."

Thanks

Attachments

• IMGP0763.JPG
    IMGP0763.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 22

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Check for shaft play both radially and axially (side to side front to back) and for chipped fins.

Also, on the exhaust side, look for white baked on material. If its there its a sign of either a blown rear exhaust seal or the car was burning coolant. Either way, its going to need a rebuild in its near future.