What the heck does it mean when the A/C light is flashing?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's driving me crazy. My A/C hasn't been working for some time now. Whenever I push the A/C or econ button, it turns on solid for a few seconds, (the A/C clutch does NOT engage), then it sits there flashing.

I've been pouring over the wiring diagrams, as I'm fairly certain it's a wiring issue, but I'm not seeing anything on these diagrams that would cause the light to flash, plus they're half in Japanese.

It's a full blown JZA70 wiring system, no 1JZ swap. Does anyone know what causes the A/C light to flash?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HommerSimpson;1060053 said:
have you checked freon level ?

no, but it WAS working perfectly fine, then one day, it just stopped.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe the A/C system has a diagnostic system built in, and the flashing light is telling me it notices a problem.

I think I'm just going to have to sit down with my multimeter, and troubleshoot the whole electrical system...tomorrow....once I put my motor back in the car.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
jump the clutch and see if it works, but it could be a low pressure switch causing it not to turn on if it's low on freon like mentioned above.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, I'm going to jump it, then I'm going to check both the high pressure, and low pressure switches to make sure they're working properly, then I'm going to take it over to my brother, and get him to measure the system's perssures, then I'm going to check the relay, then........hopefully it will work.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, small update. I took the Supra on a road trip this weekend to go camping. I had no A/C obviously, and no windows, as I took my window switches out to modify them. So, here my girlfriend and I are, in the car, in the middle of summer, cruising on the open road, and it was an oven in there. I quite liked the fact that she kept stripping off more and more clothes, but she told me I needed to get the A/C working.

So, this morning, at the camp site, I pulled out my tool-box, which I fortunately kept my multimeter, and some spare wire, and I tested the clutch. It worked fine. I rigged the clutch up to my extra fog light switch, so I could turn it on and off. The A/C blew cold the whole 500km trip home, and the A/C light stayed happy (no odd sensor readings). This rules out the clutch, and the line pressures. I'm guessing my A/C relay is bad now. I'll have to swap it out later when I get some free time.

Another random fact, I was bored on the highway, so I pulled out my calculator, and with the help of my GPS, I calculated that my car does NOT have a 4.10 in it. Someone put a 4.30 in it. Damn them. At 3000, I was doing 114km/h with my 285/40/17 tires. I also found out my speedo was dead on, but my odometer was 5% out, which I calculated is the tire size difference, so the previous owner also swapped out the speedo gear.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
annoyingrob;1066305 said:
Well, small update. I took the Supra on a road trip this weekend to go camping. I had no A/C obviously, and no windows, as I took my window switches out to modify them. So, here my girlfriend and I are, in the car, in the middle of summer, cruising on the open road, and it was an oven in there. I quite liked the fact that she kept stripping off more and more clothes, but she told me I needed to get the A/C working.

So, this morning, at the camp site, I pulled out my tool-box, which I fortunately kept my multimeter, and some spare wire, and I tested the clutch. It worked fine. I rigged the clutch up to my extra fog light switch, so I could turn it on and off. The A/C blew cold the whole 500km trip home, and the A/C light stayed happy (no odd sensor readings). This rules out the clutch, and the line pressures. I'm guessing my A/C relay is bad now. I'll have to swap it out later when I get some free time.

Another random fact, I was bored on the highway, so I pulled out my calculator, and with the help of my GPS, I calculated that my car does NOT have a 4.10 in it. Someone put a 4.30 in it. Damn them. At 3000, I was doing 114km/h with my 285/40/17 tires. I also found out my speedo was dead on, but my odometer was 5% out, which I calculated is the tire size difference, so the previous owner also swapped out the speedo gear.
It still might be your pressure. Check it and make sure its fine. The a/c control is looking for the A/C Compressor speed and if it doesn't see it itll turn off the a/c compressor and the light will flash. The a/c pressure switches are in line with the compressor wire, if they're not closed, the signal wont reach the relay and turn on the compressor (but the a/c controls thinks its on)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under

No pics it never happened ;)

Mine is 9% off :) I calculated that a while ago. I think it is off in other gears at a different level, but i know in 5th it is 9% off for the odometer.

annoyingrob;1066576 said:
It's going to my brother and he's checking the refrigerant level, and doing an alignment as soon as I have a chance.

Hey, if you need to charge the refrigerant, i would suggest duracool. That stuff rules and it is legal and about 10 bucks a lb instead of over 50. It requires about 1/3rd the refrigerant and it cools better then 12 or R134a.

Last edited: