What should be my next baby...

What should my next baby be?

• Total voters

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
I currently have a heavily modded MKIII, I don't know if I"ll keep her around or not, probably for a little while till the new one is up to snuff. But I"m looking at moving on and currently I've narrowed my choices down to

a) 94-98 MKIV M/T TT (with Targa)
b) 2010 EVO X GSR (I don't want the MR as I'm a fan of 5-speeds and love the feeling of moving through the gears)

the general pros/cons as I see them (these are just the basics there's more but I"m not going to fill up a whole thread.

MKIV Pros
*retains value, I buy the car for 30k-40k and in 5 years there's a good chance it will still be worth that much.
*Can handle gobs of power with stock internals (I believe 650 rwhp)
*Get a lot out of BPU's

Cons
*Older Car
*Will need maintenance aka things will break

EVO X Pros
*New engine tech, lots of power out of little space
*alot of "luxury" features
*AWD
*factory maintenance
*Warrenty

Cons
*Warrenty
*heavier then its predecessors
*won't hold its value as well as MKIV

These are just some basics

Stat comparisons (out the box as of new production aka stock)

EVO X
291 hp @ 6500 RPMS
300 foot-lbs torque @ 4000 RPMS
Curb weight: 3200-3500
0-60mph: 4.9s
1/4 mi: 13.6s

Supra MKIV
(unable to track down numbers due to internet restrictions at work so if anyone could provide them it would be appreciated)
XXX hp @ XXXX RPMS
XXX foot-lbs torque @ XXXX RPMS
Curb weight: 3417
0-60mph: X.Xs
1/4 mi: XX.Xs

Thoughts/comments welcome, also this is the price range i'm looking at, I'm happy to entertain other thoughts. porsche/honda/VW/BMW/domestic I will not entertain.

Last edited:

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
supras were rated differently depending on where you go, ive heard the typical 280, or 320 hp somewhere around the upper range of 6k rpms. i believe the torque is rated around 315, but i may be wrong. 0-60 4.6 secs. 1/4 mile in 13.5? this is off the top of my head, should be pretty close. Supra For the Win

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
SupraSean;1594947 said:
supras were rated differently depending on where you go, ive heard the typical 280, or 320 hp somewhere around the upper range of 6k rpms. i believe the torque is rated around 315, but i may be wrong. 0-60 4.6 secs. 1/4 mile in 13.5? this is off the top of my head, should be pretty close. Supra For the Win

Thanks for the stats,

Being a Supra forum... of course I know there's going to be some biased. anyway.

http://pendletonyardsales.com/item16049094.html?itemId=16049094&src=SEARCH

how does she look.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Your going to be looking for a loooooong time for a mk4 with a 5 SPEED!!!!!!!!!! But I bet you could find one with a 6 speed: p

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
USDM MKIV's are 320, JDM's are 280. JDM's have smaller turbos and smaller injectors.

The two cars will be completely different to drive. RWD vs AWD responds very differently with "spirited driving". I'd honestly say to try getting a test drive in each, see what suits your driving style more. That will help a lot in terms of picking. Are you planning on driving it year round? Weekend warrior? Summer car? All things to consider. What about modifications? How much are you going to be dumping in to get how much expected power?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
92nsx;1594986 said:
Your going to be looking for a loooooong time for a mk4 with a 5 SPEED!!!!!!!!!! But I bet you could find one with a 6 speed: p

Yeah most likely about 5 minutes lol, the non turbo models came with a W58 and the r154 swap is very common in MKIVs that go NA-T

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
92nsx;1594986 said:

Busted! wait for it....

::edit funky posted before I finished::
Although to NSX's credit, he knew I was referring to a M/T but yes there's the NA-T

radiod;1594988 said:
USDM MKIV's are 320, JDM's are 280. JDM's have smaller turbos and smaller injectors.
The two cars will be completely different to drive. RWD vs AWD responds very differently with "spirited driving". I'd honestly say to try getting a test drive in each, see what suits your driving style more. That will help a lot in terms of picking. Are you planning on driving it year round? Weekend warrior? Summer car? All things to consider. What about modifications? How much are you going to be dumping in to get how much expected power?

Very Valid points, I have test driven both cars. I got into Cars with a GSX, swapped to Supras when drifting got big early 2002. AWD vs RWD either is acceptable to me I know how to drive both. I'm not in a climate where one would prevail over the other, i'm in sunny souther cali.
The car will most likely be a Occassional Dailey Driver, (I'll retain my beater wagon) the more I can drive it the better, as my Current MKIII will probably remain my weekend warrior.
Mods as mentioned in the OP are limited to the vehicle, if a MKIV of course it will get BPU's. the EVO X, due to the warrenty will probably see very minimal. I've got my monster already, I won't NEED a car with GOBS of Horsepower, I will be quite comfortable with a DD with 300-400 which either car can achieve with limited Mods. (assuming a stock base) The EVO X with intake/exhaust/boost controller is quite capable of seeing 350, and still maintaining the warrenty.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
funky_monkey58;1594995 said:
Pontiac GTO

MA70Snowman;1594994 said:
I'm happy to entertain other thoughts. porsche/honda/VW/BMW/domestic I will not entertain.

I do like pontiacs, if I ever did get a domestic it'd be a WS6. the GTO.. god I just wish they did more with the body. :3d_frown:

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
limequat;1595066 said:
I vote G35 + turbo kit.

Funny you mention that. I was always in love with that car, ever since I drove the Prototype that made the rounds at the dealerships while I was a tech at Saab/Infinity. it was a Candy blue, w/ the EURO/AERO package and was very nice. but for some reason it doesn't scream at me the same way the MKIV and EVO X do. If I got a car soley for luxury and a little sporty it would be the G35. Plus, I work with a guy, he's a real.. TOOL. and he's got a G35 kited out, for some reason him owning it just killed it for me. But good suggestion.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
Nick M;1595090 said:
Good choice, and considering it is Australian, it will feed his ignorant comment about no domestics.

Nick, take those comments out of here. I don't recall pissing in your wheaties.
I mean do you seriously want to argue the technicalities of a "Classification"
Yes the GTO is based off the Holden Monaro, yes it's Australian. The GTO utilizes the LS1/LS2 both primarily used in Australian vehicles, as well as the corvet, camero/firebird.
However the company, originally in 1907 was oakland motor co, renamed to pontiact in '27, and Owned by GM. The Pontiac originally sold only in US/Canada/Mexico. As a Brand.. Pontiac is "domestic".
and seriously, lets face it, so much stuff is outsourced and put together in so many diffrent places there's no longer a TRUE "domestic"
"Domestic" is a relative term as it is.

And seeing as I'm the OP. Lets face it my definition of Domestic is what matters in this post.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
funky_monkey58;1594990 said:
Yeah most likely about 5 minutes lol, the non turbo models came with a W58 and the r154 swap is very common in MKIVs that go NA-T

O. Didn't know he was looking at n/a's. or N/A-T for that fact. bottom quote ;)

I read the op (post below this line) that he was looking for a TT not a N/A :thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger. How about you go and get your self re banned.

MA70Snowman;1594940 said:
I've narrowed my choices down to

a) 94-98 MKIV M/T TT (with Targa)

^^^ I read, 1994 Toyota Supra, Manual transmission, Twin Turbo, with Targa top.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
92nsx;1595162 said:
O. Didn't know he was looking at n/a's. or N/A-T for that fact. bottom quote ;)

I read the op (post below this line) that he was looking for a TT not a N/A :thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger. How about you go and get your self re banned.

^^^ I read, 1994 Toyota Supra, Manual transmission, Twin Turbo, with Targa top.

ɥƃnouǝ ǝɯ ʇɥƃnɐʇ ǝʌɐɥ ʎǝɥʇ ʞuıɥʇ ʇuop ı ƃuıɥʇ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ sıɥʇ ʇǝƃ ʇuop ı

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
If you're looking for something less common and want to chase down big power I would say the supra. tonnes of aftermarket support.
The lancer does have AWD if you like that and if you pretty much would like to stay stock stick with the lancer. Not that there isn't support but it does have more features, the body styling isn't so bland from the factory and the interior is nicer in most ways.

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
For my case at least, I have 2 young boys and would rather have a 4dr car b/c of family. Depends on your current and what your future needs would be but it's best to have a good/reliable dd.