What Route Should I Go?

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
So I had my supra checked today for a BHG and it has one. now the question is what route to go. Its a 7mge with auto transmission. should I just go with a factory head gasket and bolts tourqued to 72 ft/lbs or should I go ARP bolts and factory head gasket or HKS metal head gasket and ARP bolts? what do you guys think?
The engine is all stock except for K&N air intake and I dont plan on adding any mods except for maby and exhaust header. I am still waiting to hear back from the shop if the head needs to be machined.

Thanks, Connor

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
If you want to go all out get ARP studs a metal headgasket and take you block and head to the machine shop. Otherwise just do what I did on my &mgte and use factory. The headgasket is ~80bux from parts store and the job is doable even for average JOE

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
Thanks for the quick reply guys and ya I was planing on the head needing to be machined but once the head is machined wont the factory gasket be too thin?

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
I'm sure it depends on how much they have to machine it to get it flat. If it's not your daily get it machined and go from there.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
This is not the first time the head gasket has blown either the previous owner blew the head gasket and had the whole thing redone by Toyota including a brand new head and gaskets and everything in 2004 at 70,000 miles the car now has 112,000 miles

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
Maybe you are too hard on it :) I did my own headgaskey and torqued that mug down TIGHT (80ft/lbs). It's been 1500 miles so far approx. with not so much as a burp or hiccup. Only time will tell. Nothing is completely foolproof.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
connor.stephens;1720330 said:
This is not the first time the head gasket has blown either the previous owner blew the head gasket and had the whole thing redone by Toyota including a brand new head and gaskets and everything in 2004 at 70,000 miles the car now has 112,000 miles
I'd be willing to bet that Toyota torqued the thing down to factory specs. Worst case, buy a torque wrench and recheck it when you get it back.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
well I heard back from the shop and the head and the block are etched and both need to be machined so basically the whole engine needs to be rebuilt. which the shop quoted me at 5000-6000 bucks, that's not going to happen so now i have to find a motor to drop into it. At least now I have an excuse to get a turbo lol
Well what do you guys think I should do?

manofanhour

May 12, 2009
Dallas
You can buy a 7mge for what $500-700... a 7mgte for 1000-1200. Labor is going to be a bit more for dropping in the GTE. It sounds like you are not doing your own work. I would say if this is your DD, drop in a 7mge for the mean time, and save for a JZ swap. Rebuilding a stock GE for 5-6K is just not an option in my mind..

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
So what I think i'm doing is buying a re manufactured complete 7mge long block from 123engine.com. shipped its only going to be $1600.00 and it would be brand new.
Any thoughts?
has anybody heard of 123engine or done business with them that could give me some more info?

Connor