what parts will be need to swap out a w58 for a automatic?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i already have the transmission shifter and automatic turbo ecu. will i need anything else?

Last edited:

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
I am well versed going from auto to std. You are talking about swapping IN an automatic.

Off the top of my head I would say you need.

Cooler lines.
Wiring harness from an Automatic. W/O the harness you would be running with no ECT module, plus the harness for the automatic is very different at the transmission itself. If there is a way to overcome this w/o the harness I am unaware of it.

Since I have not done this particular swap I will let others chime in.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Proper engine harness (needs to be the auto version for year and motor)
Driveshaft
flexplate
converter
tranny (obviously)
kickdown cable
Tranny cooler and lines

If I think of more, I will let you know.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you'll need a tranny cooler, and the OEM fans...

you can swap out your brake pedal if you want it looking OEM, and also an auto tach so you can see if you're in normal or power mode..

spinyard

always lurking..
Nov 1, 2009
Ottawa
also you will need the ect (computer) and appropriate harness. I believe the harness for the ect is part of the dash harness. which in turn will probably make this swap a pain in the ass.
you need alot of harnessing...why dont you just stay manual?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
well because i cant afford a r154 right now. and i know if i get another w58 i will break it. i like to drive my car like i stole it.:nono:

the cheapest one i can find for sale is 700

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
pretty much the same. iirc theres only like one small difference. its basically the same tranny as used in all rwd trucks and cars from the late 80' till a few years back.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i am soooo mad at myself for doing some reserch first! i just found out i will need a automatic wiring harness for the tranny to work hopefully i can sell it and get my money back.

im just gona get a w58 and put a nice clutch in it and drive it nice and easy.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
chefma70;1489310 said:
i am soooo mad at myself for doing some reserch first! i just found out i will need a automatic wiring harness for the tranny to work hopefully i can sell it and get my money back.

im just gona get a w58 and put a nice clutch in it and drive it nice and easy.

There is the suprastick option, or almost any standalone computer. The suprastick is a standalone tranny ecu, and AEM should have the capibility to run the tranny.