What now???

ALEXMKIII'86

I think I broke it...
Apr 6, 2008
DENVER
I have a 1986.5 7m-ge,so far all ive done is a tune-up,custom cold air intake,complete custom exhaust. What should i do next ?Yes i plan to keep the car.No i dont want to turbo it. ........yet
Just wondering what you think ?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Heh... is the cold air intake actually drawing in cold air? Pics?

It's hard for anyone to say what to upgrade and when, we don't know the car's history or its current weak spots. Personally, if you tend to drive fast I'd start with the brakes and then suspension.

I'm in Denver too.... what color and where might I see you driving around?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You're thinking too hard about it then.

I was just making the point that there's a lot more you can do even on a N/A that rank higher in most people's opinions and if that's the top of your list you must be pretty new to this... but it was just meant in good fun. :D

Jeez... I think I've had to explain every wise-crack I've made this month.... crap am I getting too old or something?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
CRE;1036566 said:
You're thinking too hard about it then.

I was just making the point that there's a lot more you can do even on a N/A that rank higher in most people's opinions and if that's the top of your list you must be pretty new to this... but it was just meant in good fun. :D

Jeez... I think I've had to explain every wise-crack I've made this month.... crap am I getting too old or something?

What do you mean by that?:icon_bigg

I think that suspension is a great place to start and is usually one of the most neglected parts of the car. Upgrading your suspension is something you can do that will apply just as well to a turbo car as an NA car.

If you're planning on going turbo one day, it would be wise to putting your modification efforts into something you can still use once your car is boosting. Take it from me, you will get far more enjoyment out of a new set of springs and shocks than you will from every single bolt on upgrade you can do to an NA.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
benchwarmer;1036597 said:
What do you mean by that?:icon_bigg

I think that suspension is a great place to start and is usually one of the most neglected parts of the car. Upgrading your suspension is something you can do that will apply just as well to a turbo car as an NA car.

If you're planning on going turbo one day, it would be wise to putting your modification efforts into something you can still use once your car is boosting. Take it from me, you will get far more enjoyment out of a new set of springs and shocks than you will from every single bolt on upgrade you can do to an NA.

LOL, I agree 100%!!!

Here's the order I'd attack things: Brake system (all of it if need be), cooling system, probably put in a new TPS, test the ECU's coolant temp sensor throughout it's range (get some water boiling), Increase the timing a bit, reduce rotational mass (easiest to start with rims and if the carrier bearing is going out you might want to consider a lighter one piece drive shaft), headlight rewire (no, I'm not talking about the foglight rewire).

These will make the car safer, help you put more of what power you do have to the ground and make sure the car is running efficiently.

Oh, and in Denver, unless your N/A's running a stroker kit you'll probably get the best performance out of 85 octane fuel. <----- THIS IS NOT A JOKE

EDIT: OT, Oh and Benchwarmer, I got that MAF sent out for ya today.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
CRE;1036604 said:
LOL, I agree 100%!!!

Here's the order I'd attack things: Brake system (all of it if need be), cooling system, probably put in a new TPS, test the ECU's coolant temp sensor throughout it's range (get some water boiling), Increase the timing a bit, reduce rotational mass (easiest to start with rims and if the carrier bearing is going out you might want to consider a lighter one piece drive shaft), headlight rewire (no, I'm not talking about the foglight rewire).

These will make the car safer, help you put more of what power you do have to the ground and make sure the car is running efficiently.

Oh, and in Denver, unless your N/A's running a stroker kit you'll probably get the best performance out of 85 octane fuel. <----- THIS IS NOT A JOKE

EDIT: OT, Oh and Benchwarmer, I got that MAF sent out for ya today.

Thanks CRE. Hmmm... headlight rewire....*clicks search button*....

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, new cam and crank seals, and any worn or weathered coolant hoses. Maintenance items.

I'd also replace any worn or damaged bushings(suspension again), and fix any leaks you find(valve cover gaskets are a common place).

ALEXMKIII'86

I think I broke it...
Apr 6, 2008
DENVER
:icon_surp lol yeah, i am really new to the mk3 supra but i love this car and want to build it the right way (you know take my time).

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A-model_;1049252 said:
I 2nd the notion of new TPS. If the current one fails you are not going anywhere.

The car will drive without a TPS... it'll run like a 3 legged dog, but it will run.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
AJ'S 88NA;1051149 said:
I don't know I had a pretty fast 3 legged dog:)

Couple months back at Willow Springs we had a three legged dog wander onto the track during a practice session. That damn dog outran three course marshalls and a guy in a Tacoma. We never did catch it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
two legged dogs are even scarier..

two_legged_dog_high.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odWg1dUWCaA

Check out the suspension, make sure nothing is loose (I had some bolts that I could hand-tighten), and make sure nothing is missing (I was missing a bolt)...

86yota

Feb 17, 2008
upper darby ,PA
CRE;1051516 said:
Oh man.... what have I started. It was a JOKE! Gah... ;)

haha thats great....But yeah first things i replaced where all the brake components,struts with tokicos illumina III's, the whole cooling system, and my with a 1 piece, then the i had to replace my motor. i was and still trying to replace every wear part. ive been spending money on something new every week not because its broke because its 22 years old. thats the way i do it.