what kind of clutch disk is this ?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
When i pulled my old turbo engine and tranny out last year, i never thought about it. Guy that had the car before me told me he had a rps clutch kit installed when he did the MHG, front, rear mains, and oil pump. Well, he didnt. I saw a stock toyota pp and just pulled it off and dropped it on the bench. I took some pictures of the disk though.....it doesnt look like a stock disk at all, has no markings. Does anybody know what kind of disk it could be?
hwenh5.jpg

svmcef.jpg

d9y79.jpg

am8six.jpg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Looks like the XTD disc that was sold on ebay. The clutch scam thread revealed that they used a stock PP in their kit, that had been repainted. I have a new one in my shed if you want a comparison pic tomorrow

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I dont know if rps uses a stock modified pressure plate like everybody does. i have a Spec stage 3 and it uses a stock modified pp and a disk like the one on the picture. Quick question what color is your pressure plate? I know that my Spec pp is blue we might be able to identify it by its color or loook for a sticker of something.lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
wardog;958221 said:
I dont know if rps uses a stock modified pressure plate like everybody does. i have a Spec stage 3 and it uses a stock modified pp and a disk like the one on the picture. Quick question what color is your pressure plate? I know that my Spec pp is blue we might be able to identify it by its color or loook for a sticker of something.lol
Stock modified... heh, the modifications consist of painting it blue.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
my PP is shit brown and rusty :icon_bigg. Says TOYOTA and Asian on it. Nothing rps about it. The only aftermarket is the disk itself.....i found that it looks very similar to a mr2 2.0 turbo XTD disk.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Lol i know Grim i belive that the blue paint holds 600 ft/lbs of torque and the red like 400:biglaugh:

Yeah its starting to sound like an ebay xtd clutch. Are u buying a new clutch kit???

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I really like my Action Stage 3 from Driftmotion...

I never have any noise from it really, but if the RPS are too low it will shudder a bit.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Well I finally took pics of my XTD parts from ebay. I had said that it was brand new, but it actually has about two thousand miles on it. It was broken in with 500 miles of no boost at all, and then driven normally most of the time with boost on occasion. It also has 8-10 1/8 mile track runs on it as well. It actually improved my 1/8 mile time by 4 tenths of a second, and was really streetable. I was surprised to see it look so new when I took it out.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I never broke my disk in ..... The guy who built it said dont worry about it b/c the material wont get any harder :) i have been beating on it since day one. He is just a clutch builder for big trucks.

I have stock pp and 6 puck with well over 10,000 miles on it and it looked really good.... The rating is supposed to be 40% over stock my stock disk started to slip at 289rwhp and 150,000+ miles so i would guess my current setup will be good for 400+rwhp.

Haven't a few other guys on this forum put down over 500 with a 6puck and stock PP?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Break in on a clutch isn't just for the material and the disk, it's for the PP and flywheel surfaces.

If you're too hard on it they will overheat.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I agree and if i had paid big bucks for the disk and his labor i would have taken my time but I paid $132 for everything ..... I had a few hot spots but nothing out of the norm I took everything back to him for a resurface and he was like everything is basically still brand new i barley had any wear. Thats pretty good considering how hard I am on clutches I pretty much launch at 2500rpm at every light just to get to 45-50 as quick as possible and bark tires on down shifts as i enter corners for no reason sooo basically i drive like a dumb ass all the time.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I have been tempted to sell it but have held off as of yet while I build my car. I'm shooting for 400HP, but I have boost leak and tuning problems. I am using a centerforce dual friction clutch that I bought with 2000+ miles on it. I'm no expert on clutches, so I couldn't tell you if it is an accurate mileage. It appeared to be a little more used than my XTD. I just have wanted to be sure the centerforce is gonna be OK, before selling the XTD. But, if I have too much power for the centerforce, I doubt the XTD will last long. So, Ya I would sell it........................How does $150 shipped sound?

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
87nasupra;958204 said:
That would be great. I would appreciate it. I've never seen this kind of disk...especially a 6 spring disk.

your disk isnt an RPS, and more than likely the pp isnt either. I just got my RPS stage 2 a few days back and its a modified Aisin, powdercoated black, and the disk has slots 1/2 inch out from the center, all the way out to the edge, between the pads.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
its a good one. if the pucks are worn out local shop here will install new ones for $60. i had them make me a 4 puck. its a "no name". who cares about the name anyway. my 4 puck with stock r154 pp held awesome. also have a 6 puck like yours i used wit ha centerforce pp on a w58. that worked well as the pp had more clamping force.