What is your reference location when discussing left and right side?

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
What reference location does one take when talking about the "right" and "left" side of the supra? Is it facing the front of the car or sitting in the passenger compartment?

Can't find, what I would think to be a simple, but important bit of data in the TSRM, my user manual or searching the forum for it being asked previously.

Specifically, I have a ABS brake error code 32 which is a "Left front wheel speed sensor signal malfunction".

Initially, I thought that this means the Pass side, so I replaced the pass side sensor, but still have the code. Now I'm wondering if its actually the driver's side that is the "left" side.

So which is the left , the driver side or pass side?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Oh..well... guess I am just too smart or stupid for my own good..

Left side is the Driver's side as taken from sitting in the car.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_dr...r_right_when_it_comes_to_parts_saying_RH_side

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, driver's and passenger's side can mean different things, depending on if it's a LHD or RHD car.

To me (And common convention) left and right are if you are standing behind the car, facing the same direction as the car is. (Note we say "left hand drive" for North American market cars, "right hand drive" for JDM cars.)

In this case, I'd say that you replaced the wrong sensor.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I always heard it is decided from sitting in the drivers seat, but i suppose standing behind the car works also.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I agree with IJ. But what about the engine compartment? That would have to be from the front of the car looking back.

No one says the exhaust is on the right side of the motor.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Or, since there's no argument about which is the "front" or "rear" of the car, then there shouldn't be any about which is the "left" and "right" sides. After all, a person's "front" aren't in question, and neither is "left" and "right"

In the engine bay, I'll use left and right, or driver/passenger side as well, (Which doesn't work so well when there are JDM cars out there) but yeah, intake/exhaust sides are also good when you're dealing with a known engine config. (Though some I6 engines have both manifolds on the same side...)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Non Crossflows are getting rare these days, for local stuff I use driver/passenger but here IN/EX works ok as most are using a Toyota I-6 ;)
(RHD here)

I remember the horror that was building a twin turbo kit for an L24 back in the later 70's early 80's..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1757995 said:
I use Intake/Exhaust as the reference for an I-6 engine bay.
Was gonna point out the L-series Nissan and the old Chevy I6's... who thought that was a good idea should probably be smacked. No reason there should ever be that many holes on one side of a head...

IJ.;1758015 said:
Non Crossflows are getting rare these days, for local stuff I use driver/passenger but here IN/EX works ok as most are using a Toyota I-6 ;)
(RHD here)

I remember the horror that was building a twin turbo kit for an L24 back in the later 70's early 80's..

They had turbos in the late 70's? *inserts old joke here* :p

And yes, I know they did. 50's Corvair was the first factory turbo car, wasn't it?

As for the OP's question, when dealing with anything not related to working on the engine, I go with the orientation I drive from. Engine speak though, I go from looking at the car, face to face. Doesn't work well with MR cars, and anything with a forward opening hood though...