what is this and where does it go?

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
18dq4n.jpg

was up under the car this weekend and saw this dangling under the passenger side slightly forward of the exhaust manifold..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Something to do with AC perhaps? Any other angles of the picture, so it is more obvious what you're talking about? I'm guessing it is the plug that looks to be about 3/4" diameter, 1-1.5" in length, in the top-right corner of the picture?

Edit: What engine is this on? If it's a 1j, it might be something related to the hydro pump...

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
It's a condenser (also known as a capacitor) they are used to store electricity but not really sure what it is used for on the Supra though.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
I went and checked my 88 since I have the motor out and didn't see one. Aftermarket maybe. Common automotive uses are ignition points (obviously not for a Supra), stereo systems (usually bigger), some after market ignition systems. It will be wired directly into what ever it's storing power for usually.

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
its a 1j..i think its coming off the part of the harness where the alternator, o2 sensor and another plug join.. i should of taken a better picture, it has a small bracket on it for a 10mm bolt im guessing..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
-AR-;1881978 said:
its a 1j..i think its coming off the part of the harness where the alternator, o2 sensor and another plug join.. i should of taken a better picture, it has a small bracket on it for a 10mm bolt im guessing..

BoostMonger;1881940 said:
Noise suppressor for the alternator. How I know? I just fucked with mine 3 days ago.
I'm thinking this is what we're looking at... I've usually seen them bolted to the alternator though, or at least that's what my memory of the last time I saw an alternator out of a car is telling me anyway.