What is a good clutch kit for 1jz swap?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Any other full-face recommendations other than south bend?

For this kind of power goal would someone recommend upgrading the PP with a stockish replacement disk, upgraded disc with a stock pp, or upgrading both?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I don't know what would be best for me yet, that's why. I wanted to hear some recommendations about tq capacity, pedal feel, prices, clutch life, things like that.

DM's site is pretty good for describing applications. Looking at my options right now.

socalmk3

Dec 17, 2008
Palm Springs
10secdream;1317546 said:
I would just resurface the stock flywheel if it was me.

ya thats what im thinking of doing as well... im not really going for big power on my 1j i just want to start it and just run it stock lol

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well guys are pushing over 500rwhp on the stock flywheel with good clutch setup so I am sure you will be fine. You might as well get a good clutch in case you ever decide to go for more power.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
^^^ i agree, it never hurts to get a clutch that holds more power just in case down the road you decide you want more power

rakkasan;1226712 said:
If you're not going over 400hp, I'd say go for a solid face clutch. 6 pucks chatter a lot and aren't needed unless you're hitting over 450 tq, and you won't with your goals
Chatter Huh?
Oh, wow, yeah they do. I have been wondering why mine chattered so damn much!!! I thought my flywheel just hadnt been faced before the it was put in. thanks for the knowledge. Is there any way to reduce the chatter. It really sucks!

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
I have a 6 puck clutch and the chatter is just something you have to deal with. I have learned to just let the rear tires spin a bit when starting out from first.

Last edited:

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
viperkillertt;1319916 said:
haha! Well, i have learned how to make a set of tires last 4-5 years. So i will just gripe about the chatter :) Tires are expensive

Clutch is still more expensive than tires. :icon_bigg Personally I would rather get a good clutch that can hold power and hopefully last. Remember you can't have the best of both worlds. You choose 1 or the other and live with it.

10secdream;1320118 said:
Clutch is still more expensive than tires. :icon_bigg Personally I would rather get a good clutch that can hold power and hopefully last. Remember you can't have the best of both worlds. You choose 1 or the other and live with it.
wait what??? How is a clutch more expensive? Tires run for about 550-600 a pair for the rear. If you are constantly spinning them, you will go through 2 sets in the time one should suffice. Atleast that is what i would expect. To date i have never in my life had a clutch go out on me. I have a 6 puck that can handle upto 550lbs of torque. I have been running her for 2 years with 300lbs of torque to her. Most decent clutches are about 5-600 dollars. I guess spinning tires all the time does sound fun. I will have to see how it does with the chatter. :)

Last edited:

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
I have the F1 stage 3 clutch kit w/chromoly flywheel & F1 Racing 'MIBA' Copper Ceramic 6-puck Disc . Horsepower Rating: 480 HP / Torque Capacity: 458 ft/lbs
When it was first installed I had chatter but after 1,000 miles now, it is "broken in".However,shortly after installation I had to replace the master cylinder. Feels like a strong stock clutch ,very comfortable. I paid less than $500.00 for everything. No problems with this kit.