What is a good clutch kit for 1jz swap?

djblastsupratuner

Boost you must...........
May 2, 2007
Florida
Like title says im swapping in a 1jz into my MKIII supra and i need to know what good clutch kit i should get. I really dont want to buy it off ebay unless yall recomend it. I have an r154. Not going to go over 400 HP just want your opinions!

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Driftmotion 6 puck. Having slipped a stage two I will never go one again unless I had low power goals and sat in traffic every day.

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I really liked my RPS Max sprung 6 puck, that lasted me almost 3 yrs of daily driving and crazy racing.

Now Ive got a hpf bronze w/ a act h/d pp and like it so far. We'll see how it handles the power though, since I put it in close to the end of the season...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
If you're not going over 400hp, I'd say go for a solid face clutch. 6 pucks chatter a lot and aren't needed unless you're hitting over 450 tq, and you won't with your goals

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i'm using a competition stg 4, it bites really hard but its a great clutch. i would also probably think about getting one that is strong enough for your goals and a little bit more just incase in the future you decide you want more power. thats what i did, i bought one that was good enough for my current goal and still had more room just incase i added more power, it was a good idea because i ended up wanting more power.

toua

djblastsupratuner

Boost you must...........
May 2, 2007
Florida
i really dont want to spend more than 500. All these clutches sound great but im just looking to stay under 400. Later on ill go 2jz so for now the a cheap and realliable one.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
goto suprasport.com they sell these clutch kits from a place called southbend dxd which makes clutches for high torque diesel trucks.

i got their street clutch for my 1jz swap and its been great,smooth engagement but grabs when you feel the need to dump the clutch and its rated for around 500 tq according to their site. the one i got was $430, but i think they sell cheaper ones too.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I've had my ACT Stage 2 kit for over 2 years and it held great. Spending under $400 on a clutch that will hold around $400 isn't really possible unless you have the hookup. Don't by some cheap clutch kit like F1, they will slip on you like they have with everyone else. I'm putting in my SPEC stage 3 6-puck right now and I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's a good clutch for $493 shipped.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
I have the spec stage 2+. Its a truly great clutch reasonably priced and doesnt feel stock but doesnt destroy your leg either. Basicly feels stock without the week pedal feel.

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
I went with the Spec Stage 3 as well, however mine is for a W58 (2JZ-GE flywheel) set-up. Maybe that is why mine only cost $358 shipped. I chose Spec because I've heard nothing but good things about them. And they have decent prices.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
A wonderful street clutch for your goals would be a Southbend full face.

I have heard great things from southbend, theyre smooth, well made, and affordable.

I bought one, and im waiting to put it in after the rebuild...

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
I didnt mention im in the same boat as SuperNova mine is for the 2J W58 since I have an SC300.... as for the Southbend every one that i have seen both lacked quality and never held the torque they were supposed to.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
there's always the twin plate option. theyre rebuildable, hold buckets of power, and have close to stock pedal feel.

But they are $.