what has figgie been so mum about???

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
figgie said:
That is on the OTHER head.... lol

have to get this engine running so the ported head with all the $$ is sitting still being worked on.

Ahh I see :)

What all did you do for the head? Valves, springs, cams, porting etc? :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Slow66 said:
Ahh I see :)

What all did you do for the head? Valves, springs, cams, porting etc? :)

The other head,

everything. And I mean that and then some.

Did some researching into racing engines.

Ported and polished to a mirror on the exhaust. 100 grit port on the intake.
CC chamber was rounded out (ie no bumps on the sides or the middles) and all roughness taken off, all cc have been cc'd. Probably going to stick with the dual valve springs from ferrea. Unlike the bowties, no such thing as a triple spring for our application so I can not go to crazy on the cams. At higher RPMS and power the weight of the valves is important. So have to shed some weight from the stockers on the valves which requires also softer material for the valve seat (Beryllium-copper alloy). Is it needed. Probably not. BUt I am in there so minus well do it :)

As for the CAM's. Those are going to be custom made. Running some numbers but I have an idea of what I am looking at (264ish int/ 272 ish exh).

but this is going to be for a bit. Looking to get a TIG welder and have to save my pennies up as the Lincoln Dynasty 350 is what I have my eyes set on. :)

Last edited:

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
figgie said:
The other head,

everything. And I mean that and then some.

Did some researching into racing engines.

Ported and polished to a mirror on the exhaust. 100 grit port on the intake.
CC chamber was rounded out (ie no bumps on the sides or the middles) and all roughness taken off, all cc have been cc'd. Probably going to stick with the dual valve springs from ferrea. Unlike the bowties, no such thing as a triple spring for our application so I can not go to crazy on the cams. At higher RPMS and power the weight of the valves is important. So have to shed some weight from the stockers on the valves which requires also softer material for the valve seat (Beryllium-copper alloy). Is it needed. Probably not. BUt I am in there so minus well do it :)

As for the CAM's. Those are going to be custom made. Running some numbers but I have an idea of what I am looking at (264ish int/ 272 ish exh).

but this is going to be for a bit. Looking to get a TIG welder and have to save my pennies up as the Lincoln Dynasty 350 is what I have my eyes set on. :)

Good stuff. I just bought me a TIG too. Bought a used Miller Syncro 300. They're expensive but soooo worth it :) Ive been buying more tools lately than car parts..lol. Good luck with everything, and make sure you keep your build thread updated better than I do to mine ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:love: :love: ..........Those valve covers are beautiful. I can't imagine how good they would look in blue...........:icon_bigg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprahero said:
:love: :love: ..........Those valve covers are beautiful. I can't imagine how good they would look in blue...........:icon_bigg

well I will tell everyone my secret for them (nothing hard and anyone can do :) ).

100 grit sanding. Leaving all the sanding burrs etc. Wipre down with acetone or Denatured alkie and then a couple coats of the red metallicast for duplicolor. (can be done in any color)

They do have it in blue, smoke (which I did use too :) ), orange, purple and green. The trick is the prep work. Get it down as smooth as you want polish it and then the metallicast.

The color is a transparent color. So whatever is underneath (gouges etc) show.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
A couple of updates........

after seeing all these car fires. I am biting this right in the butt and just doing it right (more setbacks!! :mad:).

The car is about to become completely naked as I am going to REWIRE the entire car! Yes I am that crazy :p Tefzel or Spec55m wiring.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
figgie;952999 said:
A couple of updates........

after seeing all these car fires. I am biting this right in the butt and just doing it right (more setbacks!! :mad:).

The car is about to become completely naked as I am going to REWIRE the entire car! Yes I am that crazy :p Tefzel or Spec55m wiring.

You crazy bastard. :biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well a dig up.

I haven't updated and for good reason.....

40+ lbs of main and in-cabin front electrical harness + relay boxes etc.

I am in the middle of a rewire of the entire car. This is not the hard part.

The hard part is isolating circuits for the likes of

A/C
Wiper motor assembly
Turn signal and starter

after isolation the Rhino 6000 helps in labeling the wires.

Out of the rats nest, only ONE wire was cut and it was a ground wire to another circuit that will no longer be used.

Attachments

• Mainharness-Front.JPG
    Mainharness-Front.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 91
  • labled-wire.JPG
    labled-wire.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Rhino-6000.JPG
    Rhino-6000.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 64
  • AC-system.JPG
    AC-system.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 68

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
of course this leaves.. what is figgie replacing the mechanical system with?

well, to bring the supra into the 21st century and doing it the way i do everything (overboard or better known as Obsessive compulsive Disorder)..

A MoTeC PDM32 digital based power distribution box.

so what does this little bundle of joy in combination do?

Well lets play the favorite "scenario" game....

crusing along minding my own business, when the grip reapers of alternators decides to take the alternator with it. In most case that would be manually killing anything and everything that is not essential to running the car. Well in this case, a logic condition and I automatically turn off everything save for

ECU, Dash, Ignition and fuel pump.

no? How about this one.

The car is running, the motor is so quiet you can not hear it. Ignition to on, one of the most awefull noises ever produced of metal on metal grinding. Well, with the RPM above a certain #, now I can keep the circuit from ever engaging while the motor is running!

Control my taillights, brake lights, emergency lights. Create a logic that if the alarm is set, disables the starter, Turns on one of the outputs to feed the MoTeC to limit RPM and SPEED and also use a different DBW slope that reaches a max of 30% opening.

Above all that, real time monitoring of current useage on a per channel basis.

All using M22759/91 wire (in my signature part of the Wire thread!). :D

Attachments

• PDM32-M800.JPG
    PDM32-M800.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 141