What happens when u drive @ cruising speeds on the hwy & your wheel falls off?

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
This is what happens when u are driving at cruising speeds on the highway and your wheel falls off...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

turns out that the lugnuts that i had on the sawblade werent actually holding the wheel on good enough and the sawblade managed to open up its holes where the studs go threw and the wheel flew out. the studs ALL had their lug nuts still on them. it should all buff out. :D *note: sarcasm.

its not going to be too bad. actually, it sucks because my dad JUST took my full coverage off earlier this week. hell, i coulda made some money off of this.

RAWR! just another day in the SUCK for me. this was after i made a BUNCH of progress this morning with narrowing down and deleting my problems that i was still having. every step foreward is 2 steps backwards..

-Tyler

DDR_Man70

May 16, 2007
fairfield, ca
that sucks... which reminds me that i need four more lug nuts... inspiration. usually leads to it wearing off or something else reminding me.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
i used a simple lock key style lug nut instead of the stockers [which i did NOT get with the purchase of my car, even though i got stock sawblades with the car]

so yeah, lesson to be learned: always use the CORRECT lugnuts for the right wheel. or u die.

DDR_Man70

May 16, 2007
fairfield, ca
CampbellsChunkySoupra said:
i used a simple lock key style lug nut instead of the stockers [which i did NOT get with the purchase of my car, even though i got stock sawblades with the car]

so yeah, lesson to be learned: always use the CORRECT lugnuts for the right wheel. or u die.
:eek:wned: :runaway:

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
nope. it was literally a... BHAM. and then a... oh shit, i cant steer anymore, and then i cant really slow down, and oh... thats a loud ass scraping noise, and i can see some aluminum shavings flying in the air. and then, thank god its my sawblade and not my other wheels.

[sorry for the terrible punctuation, its there for the effect.lol.]

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
CampbellsChunkySoupra said:

Um ya. . . your going to want to use the O.E. Toyota lugnuts "only" on your sawblades. Toyota designed the wheels to be both "lug centric" and "hub centric". Yep they are expensive but the O.E. wheel "requires" that type of lug to keep it on the vehicle. I can go in to more detail if you like but trust me there is nothing better than the stock lugs. It's like ARP head studs but for your wheels.

Hope your up and running soon.;)

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
So all the sawblade lugnuts I just removed I should not toss in the trash??? I dont use the sawblades (I did not even keep one for the spare) Anyone want a set??????

oh and CampbellsChunkySoupra do you need a sawblade to replace that one? I have at least 4 I may have 8 , you could have the best one for that side for cost of shipping.. I was tossing them , the mechanic shop that has them was gonna get rid of them for me. so If you want I will see if they are still there.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Damn man, that really sucks. Looks like you are going to only need the fender though. Anything get damanged in the suspension or brakes? Best of luck getting her back together though.

pmohr

Maxima.org traitor
Jun 20, 2007
Pasadena, MD
I've had my left rear come off on both my '95 and '87 Maximas, both correctly torqued down.

Well with my '87, it came off when I was driving through a parking lot, by the time I ran out to get it, it had traveled like a 1/4 mile. When I took the centercap off, all 4 lugnuts were still in there, they had just backed off of the studs somehow. They would keep doing that (even with the correct torque), so I got longer lugnuts that would hit the centercap before backing all the way off.

On my '95, it didn't actually come off but damn close. I was coming onto 81S on an onramp from a gas station, going maybe 30, and the rear end kicked out (FWD, btw). Luckily I had my floor jack and jackstands in the trunk, so I took her up and took off the wheel, 3 lugnuts next to eachother had come off (one sheared the stud off at the rotor, the other two apparently just backed off). Since those three were in a row, the wheel tilted when I started coming up the turn on the onramp. Stole one lugnut from two of my other wheels, drove the remaining 500 miles to TN.

Scary shit.