What happened?

balong

suprastar
Mar 17, 2007
Calgary
So heres the story. I fill up gas on the way to the club. find a nice parking spot.
parked, then i rev my engine a little bit. i here a 'wooshing' sound ive never heard before. im like.. what? thats not right. do it again. still there. hmmm...
then my friends like..holy eff yur leaking oil.. the oil was dripping on the right rear from the under body. it was driping fast. and my oil level totally dropped.

anybody have any ideas why it would happen out of the blue?
mind you it was a smooth ride all the way.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Wait Wait oil is not supposed to be in the rear of the car because there is no use for oil being back there...haha. Very weird to say the least...

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
First off, if you have the engine undercover the leak could really be up front or in the middle.

As for hoses, the N/A's only hose to worry about is the crank case breather. When mine went it was fine on minute and split in half for about 6" the next. If you're running an oil cooler or a filter relocation I'd start there, but only once you're sure it is infact motor oil.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I'm inclined to think that he broke while in drive and the oil spread back and then dripped when he came to a stop. He's not real specific on "rear" of the car. Behind the door is the rear and I have had oil leak like that. Changed the rear main seal because I thought it was leaking. It wasn't.

balong

suprastar
Mar 17, 2007
Calgary
forgot to mention. i drove around after that. and the dripping seamed to have stopped. so i drove it home and it wasnt dripping anymore...

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
supramacist said:
Either way..., you don't start leaking oil and then, go cruising.

he's right, if your leaking anything you dont go driving around thats a good way to make a problem even worse. The only things that could possibly be leaking from the rear of your car are: 1. Brake fluid 2. fuel 3. differential oil
did you smell it? was it thick or runny? or could you give some more info?

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I vote tranny fluid. When you say "my oil level totally dropped" are you referring to the pressure gauge on the inside of the car or did you check the actual level of the oil, because if you went and drove it around no problem, then I would assume you feared not the rod knock.

-Joe

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
89Joe said:
I vote tranny fluid. When you say "my oil level totally dropped" are you referring to the pressure gauge on the inside of the car or did you check the actual level of the oil, because if you went and drove it around no problem, then I would assume you feared not the rod knock.

-Joe
now that I think of it, if hes new to supras or cars in general could he possibly made the mistake of thinking the tranny dipstick was the engine oil? thats the only thing that I can think of to where it would be towards the back but yet checking a dipstick and It being low....unless his engine oil was already low to begin with:icon_conf

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
x87SUPRA87x said:
now that I think of it, if hes new to supras or cars in general could he possibly made the mistake of thinking the tranny dipstick was the engine oil? thats the only thing that I can think of to where it would be towards the back but yet checking a dipstick and It being low....unless his engine oil was already low to begin with:icon_conf

If you can't find the oil dipstick when it says "Engine oil" you need to smacked.

-Joe

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
An automatic transmission which dumps "tons" of fluid doesn't drive very far... and probably not all the way home.

There are a number of possibilities here: oil blowing out of the dipstick tube from excessive blowby or a clogged PCV system, a crankcase breather hose which has split close to the block, a split power steering or brake line, or a split hose for the transmission cooler (if the tranny is an automatic). Any of these can pour out of the back if you've got an undercover in place.

I strongly recommend you locate the leak before you take the car out again. Killing your transmission would suck, but loosing your brakes and not remembering to use your e-brake (HINT) could end up with you or someone else dead.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
CRE said:
An automatic transmission which dumps "tons" of fluid doesn't drive very far... and probably not all the way home.

There are a number of possibilities here: oil blowing out of the dipstick tube from excessive blowby or a clogged PCV system, a crankcase breather hose which has split close to the block, a split power steering or brake line, or a split hose for the transmission cooler (if the tranny is an automatic). Any of these can pour out of the back if you've got an undercover in place.

I strongly recommend you locate the leak before you take the car out again. Killing your transmission would suck, but loosing your brakes and not remembering to use your e-brake (HINT) could end up with you or someone else dead.
In his profile it says he has a 5spd.
89Joe said:
If you can't find the oil dipstick when it says "Engine oil" you need to smacked.

-Joe
you never know... lol some people make very stupid mistakes lol

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I didn't know which he had (don't care *that much* :icon_razz ). lol

Just figured I'd cover the main spots to check. I did leave out the brake booster and PS reservior though, and had it been the clutch master of slave he'd probably know it by now. Gear oil is a definite possibility since we don't know how much car "pouring out".

Balong, is the car shifting poorly now? Any trouble getting into gears?