What engine would you use?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Ok, heres the deal. I have a 7m that can probably use a rebuild in the garage (complete w/ assesories), and also a 2jzgte block (needs pistons), and a complete 1jz head & assesories (enought to peace it together I think, save for the new pistons for the block). I also have a 89 HT chassis that I'll be throwing it all together into and making a little drag car project with my father.

But trying to decide what power plant to use.

Should I stay with the 7m so I can compete in the TX mkiii classes or go the jz and be forced to play with the big boys(mkivs).

Now this isn't going to be a big budget build. It'll be lower hp (probably 61mm turbo + nitrous) through a TH350. The goals for the car is a solid 10 second passes. Nothing crazy no 9s or anything, just a street car that I can have fun in.

So please give an explination on what you'd do in this situation. In the end the cost will be similar, so dont argue that.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Is the question 7M vs 1.5 JZ? Just wanted to clarify.

7M. You can (probably) build it with profits from the JZs. Might want to add a poll.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Quin;1103312 said:
Is the question 7M vs 1.5 JZ? Just wanted to clarify.

7M. You can (probably) build it with profits from the JZs.
I could build the JZ with the sale of the 7m as well.

Might want to add a poll.

poll defeats the purpose of the thread, as I want an explination as to your answer.

Ma70.Ent;1103313 said:
I'd go 7M if I was making a drag car, and a JZ engine for anything else.

Care the elaborate on that?

maac0953

mike
Jul 21, 2008
orlando
build the 7m cause i bet you will kill all the other owner's if you spend more effort on it. i think you will probably get stomped if that 1j is installed and not built like the other drivers's.7M baby all the way

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I'd go 7m mainly because you're backing it with a gm auto. I like seeing the success people are having in a straight line with them whereas they'd most likely be running much higher times with the same power and a manual. You could argue the same tranny and the jz but they get enough praise as it is so show them what a 7m can do. ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i wouldnt build a car just to compete in ONE single event... unless thats all you care about. lol

if you have a ton of money, go JZ...
but if you wanna save some money, then go 7m
(go compare prices for the 'main' components and you'll be amazed how big the difference is between the jz and 7m)

i would have gone JZ... but i live in nazi-fornia, so there was no point...

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Rennat;1103465 said:
i wouldnt build a car just to compete in ONE single event... unless thats all you care about. lol

if you have a ton of money, go JZ...
but if you wanna save some money, then go 7m
(go compare prices for the 'main' components and you'll be amazed how big the difference is between the jz and 7m)

i would have gone JZ... but i live in nazi-fornia, so there was no point...

If you are going to run at TX I would build the 7M.

But for cost of parts and easy of power I would go 1.5jz.

Jeremy

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I probably would never take the car to texas to be honest.. so I dunno.. Just trying to think of a reason that the 7m would be worth it, but its a losing battle.