What Does Clutch Chatter Feel Like?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
I posted this here because clutch chatter could happen in any supra.

I think my vibration is caused by clutch chatter? can clutch chatter feel like a slight vibration just very fast? i put it in 4th and went WOT and it felt like a small vibration the clutch didnt slip but i could feel it and it was like a very slight vibration and could clutch chatter happen under decel like if im going 70and let off and just let the engine slow me down?

or can anybody explain how clutch chatter is caused and what it feels like?

Thanks,Barry

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
thats not chatter. chatter occurs when you are engaging the clutch.

the entire car shudders as the clutch rapidly grabs and slips until it is fully engaged.

its a very bad feeling and if you ever install a pucked clutch disk you will know what chatter feels like.

SupraB

Need 4 speed mods!
Jul 24, 2006
Spokane WA
lagged said:

the entire car shudders as the clutch rapidly grabs and slips until it is fully engaged.

its a very bad feeling and if you ever install a pucked clutch disk you will know what chatter feels like.

Yeah, I know clutch chatter all to well. Its a pretty harsh shaking of the car. I have an RPS 6 puck, chatter is a part of my daily drive now.... :icon_mad:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
SupraB said:
Yeah, I know clutch chatter all to well. Its a pretty harsh shaking of the car. I have an RPS 6 puck, chatter is a part of my daily drive now.... :icon_mad:
damn is there any clutch which is good for up to 400 rwtq w/o majore chatter? :1zhelp:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
CryoSlash said:
damn is there any clutch which is good for up to 400 rwtq w/o majore chatter? :1zhelp:

you learn to drive around it.

not really a big deal. you just have to change the way you engage the clutch.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
the way you explained it as the whole car shuddering is what it feels like it shakes my dash and everything over 5k and it felt like it was shuddering slightly today when i punched it in 4th

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Lets just put it this way.. I have a 6 puck clutch that chatters A LOT.. SO much that the car I JUST got running with my brother, I WONT EVEN DRIVE! I rather drive a beat up celica because I enjoy the feel of the clutch more than driving a pimped out car that has HORRIBLE clutch chatter and makes me kill the car taking off from every light. :cry: :icon_evil

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
lagged said:

That is spot on correct. A stock Toyota can be as soft as just feeling it in the pedal. Depending on the wear and tear, or how far the trans was tilted when it was stabbed.