What do I replace the hydro pump with?

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
So I have a koyorad with electric fan and it will not fit with this hydro pump pulley!
Can I take it out and use something different like just a water pump with pully from a 2j? Anyone know steps to removing the hydro pump?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342211701.624697.jpg

Last edited:

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
you can,t use the 2j pulley as it is similar to the 7m one (4 studs holding the fanclutch/pulley instead of a splined shaft and a bolt).
I think your best bet is to change the waterpump assembly alltogether with a 2jz unit

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya have to get front and rear. Dm sells its.

Timing belt has to come off to change water pump.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Oh gosh. I just bought a mishi rad and fans with a relay harness.... I really hope they fit or I'm putting the hydro back on...

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Ya but I'd hate to tear down all that stuff since its my daily driven car. And I don't wanna spend more money on not so needed stuff.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
it's not that bad really if the engine is in the car. first gear, handbrake, a big breaker bar and you can loose the crank pulley bolt, then use a puller to remove it. Unbolt both timing belt cover, remove the belt tensionner and you're ready to remove the pump.

I did it while the engine was out and it wasn't that bad... Only thing is the new waterpump will have a hose nipple coming out of the front below the main shaft and I have no idea what to do with it

veedubin

Official SM Decals
shipkiller;1857088 said:
I did it while the engine was out and it wasn't that bad... Only thing is the new waterpump will have a hose nipple coming out of the front below the main shaft and I have no idea what to do with it

IIRC that hose nipple is the weep hole. Nothing gets connected to it. It will only leak if coolant gets past the seal into the bearings. I think that's the one your thinking of anyways.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
mk3tattoos;1856960 said:
So I have a koyorad with electric fan and it will not fit with this hydro pump pulley!
Can I take it out and use something different like just a water pump with pully from a 2j? Anyone know steps to removing the hydro pump?
View attachment 59584

Just change the pump, its at pain in the ass to do twice, might as well change it now while your upgrading other things.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Ya I'm thinking the same.. I can take stuff off while I'm still waiting for a radiator.. and ill replace the belts too

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have what's needed to change to US pump in the JZ thread.

USDM Pump(Front And Rear)

USDM Water Pump Pulley

Fan Clutch Setup(Dependent On You Radiator)

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
mk3tattoos;1857166 said:
And get it all clean while your there:)

Of course ;) clean and paint. Gonna paint my pulleys to match my cam gears :} l'm having trouble with the lower timing belt cog that's on the crank. I had one spare bolt that would thread into it but it bent. Gonna find/buy two bolts and a cross member little deal. If someone doesnt have a better solution.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
just waiting for supra store to ship my pump and cam gears.. decided not to color match my other pulleys with my cam gears. Don't want it to bling bling. Just cleaned them up.. other than that my car has been sitting :banghead:

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
Finally ordering my 2j water pump tomorrow!!! Supra just been sitting in hereImageUploadedByTapatalk1343027701.834717.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343027889.493051.jpgOther than that I have everything else:) I'll be putting up some pics soon when I get it all done:)