What did you pay for paint work?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I am in the process of shopping around for a paint job. I am curious what others have paid. I have no rust, dents, only door dings, my window moldings are shot, i am just going for a respray in a slightly different shade of silver. I am also adding bomex sides, rears, and probably whale tail. I plan to bring the car in with no interior, but the motor still in. I am not going to paint my bay until i have another reason to pull my motor.

I am going to ask for quotes if i bring it in complete sans interior, and i am going to get quotes for bringing it in with a stripped body that would need final prep work. I want to make sure if i bring the car in blasted and stripped that the body shop is responsible for the finish.

So, what did you all pay? I will share my quotes in hopes to get some advice.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
If i was to drop my car off as is 4 shops quoted between $10 and $15.

Maaco said they would do a 2 stage for $1800 if I prep.

2 shops quoted $1500 for dupont 3 stage materials, and between 500 and 1000 for spraying.

None of these incude door jams or engine bay.

I think i am going to prep my self, pull out the glass, trim, and lights and go for a $2500 3 stage spray job rather than the $1800 maaco spray job and have a skilled buddy help prep, cut and buff.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I got quotes to have my front and rear bumpers painted, and my headlight covers painted because they are faded or have a little damage to the paint. (The rest of the paint is still in really good shape). I was quoted $900 from a good local body shop to do all of this. They have been around for a while. I also got a quote from Toyota for about $2200 for the same stuff... Not sure if this helps, but this is my experience.

Just make sure you go with quality supplies and skilled people to do the job. You don't want to waste your money and end up with a bad paint job that needs to be redone again.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
For a full restoration with Toyota Super Red: $6k (includes trim, media blast, etc)

For a trim removal, dent fix/removal, prep & paint Toyota Super Red: $4500

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone know how much a respray of 2 or 3 stage pearl white would be? A friend of mine got quoted $1500 to have his front bumper on his GS430 repainted in pearl white.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Supra0089;1981236 said:
For a full restoration with Toyota Super Red: $6k (includes trim, media blast, etc)

For a trim removal, dent fix/removal, prep & paint Toyota Super Red: $4500

Must be side job prices. No reputable paint and body shop will do that kind of work for that cheap in the United States.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Man you guys get some low quotes on paint...I can't get just a respray of the same color done around here for less than 2500.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
With new moldings, weather stripping, my own prep materials, bribes for my buddies and the ~$2500 for the spray work and materials i expect to hit $5k easily. Only problem, not all the moldings are still available. Hopefully i can find a product that can match the stock finish of the moldings.

Any advice in that regard?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
Oh wow. I guess the shop I took my car to was telling the truth when he said the quote he gave me was cheap. The shop that painted my car quoted me $2500 including a new left fender. Pearl white Tri-coat paint job. They removed and reinstalled all the glass and trim. fixed the rust. fixed the dent I had on the driver's side door, installed the new moldings I bought myself, and installed my new front bumper and cf hood that I bought. It took them 6 month to finish my car though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For a quality show paint with prep I wouldn't pay less than 4k.

My 91 had a 6k paint job done including all door jambs and engine bay in glacier mica frost and got the body straight and the right rear quarter panel replaced.

Maaco is cheap. Some of there painters can be good. You could always find a good painter and ask him if he wants to do a side job. On the side he makes more and you pay less.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Hey Hwyman, what kind of paint/clear did you autobody professional instruct you to use? We used PPG everything. Honestly the only reason I got my paint job for the price that I did was because the shop owner owed our shop (my dad specifically) a favor haha

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
My materials quote of $1500 was for dupont with 2 or 3 heavy coats of clear.

I wanted to avoid a side job so i could get my spray done in a booth with top quality gear. Better than spending 3x as much time cutting and buffing.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I paid 2800 with 32 hours of body work, plus a couple hours of buffing. But that was for the quarter panel, rear bumper and roof being painted.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I paid 1500 for labor (bodywork and paint). Granted I purchased all of the materials. I used PPG paint. I had to cash in a few favors for that price but it was more than worth it. I think the key is not only be sure you get quality material but be sure the painter is use to using that type of material. For example, my painter really didnt care for House of Color paint. Not saying that other painters don't have good luck with. He just didn't advise me using it.