What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;1980921 said:
I don't think my antenna ever comes up lol I don't have problems with radio signal really but I rarely listen to the radio.

Then it probably wouldn't be a problem for you. Mine with the antenna down didn't get many stations. I don't really listen to the radio, but it is good to have the option for when it was needed.

yhatzee89;1980924 said:
I have a version of that same head unit (DNX 6960?) with the nav and it fit just like factory without any of the standard bezels and trim rings normally needed

Sounds about right, mine is a DDX470. I didn't need to use the bezels or trim rings that came with it either, it fit perfectly in the opening in the black console cover piece.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I wonder what kind of power output the head unit would put out if I plug up my phone via USB to charge it up. On my current head unit it hardly charges unless I don't use my phone at all and either turn it off or put it on airplane mode. If I play music with it plugged up it will probably move up a couple percent in half an hour, then again usb is only 5 volts or so.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I replaced my cig lighter with a boost controller because I chickened out on replacing my stock boost gauge with the aftermarket one, not comfortable with drilling into my gauge cluster lol.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Usb is 3.3 volts I believe, but yeah it's about amperage, not voltage. Even plugged into the wall it's still Usb :p

Just checked mine and you're right, Its 5 volts, but it does it at 1 amp. I know I have a different charger around here that I think does .5 amps, and my phone tells me that it would charge slowly.. lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
the usb cable my phone came with charges it quickly when plugged into the wall. Maybe it's different with those OEM cables than a regular USB.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The max current a USB host can provide to a device is negotiated when the device is connected. If the devices follows the USB standard, it cannot draw more than 100mA until it negotiates a higher current from the host. That said, I see violations of the standard all the time.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Silver MK3;1980982 said:
Its probably the same reason why when you plug a phone into a computer to charge it takes forever.

Yea through a computer it's much slower because I think USBs on a pc only draw 5 volts or 1amp whatever.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
The cable isn't the issue, it's what it's plugged into. A 1 amp will charge pretty quickly.. but .5 amp chargers take forever.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have an old equaliser that I want to use with a Raspberry Pi. The EQ takes stereo input, adds a fader, and a selectable 60/80Hz crossover for subwoofers. 2ch in, 6ch out. It's only 500mV, as the main downside, but I have the information to make it 3.5V. I already replaced all of the TL072 Op amps with Burr-Brown OP2134 chips. the Raspberry Pi should give me almost all of the features that a droid tablet has, plus XBMC for media management. Add in some extras using the GPIO, like automatic shutdown when the car is switched off, and a dock for a portable hard drive for media, and I think I can have some nice stuff.

I have made a car PSU that will take constant power, and accessory power, and alert the Pi when accessory power goes away, thus allowing it to shut down. While power is on, there is 3A available to a USB port. When accessory power is removed, there is a 4 min delay, then all power is removed. This gives shutdown time to the device running on it. (The 3A means that there's enough power to run an external USB hard disk drive for a couple TB of storage.)

I have 2 screens that I'm waffling between. One is a 7.2" LCD, 1280X768 resolution, and the other is a 10.6" 1360X768 resolution. Both can take DVI/HDMI input. The other option is to spend some more money on something that also has touch screen input (Neither of these do at present, but a small touch pad to give mouse input is cheap and can be conveniently located, and a small wireless keyboard would mean that I can do whatever I want.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Anybody know what size exhaust hangers I need? Getting a Tanabe catback and want to replace the hangers and I am not sure of the size or how many.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Dan_Gyoba;1981104 said:
I have 2 screens that I'm waffling between. One is a 7.2" LCD, 1280X768 resolution, and the other is a 10.6" 1360X768 resolution. Both can take DVI/HDMI input. The other option is to spend some more money on something that also has touch screen input (Neither of these do at present, but a small touch pad to give mouse input is cheap and can be conveniently located, and a small wireless keyboard would mean that I can do whatever I want.

You should start a thread on this, I'd like to follow your progress. While the carPC market has kind of driven off a cliff, I still see lots of upside to it in terms of flexibility and running something better than the phone OSs.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
3p141592654;1981161 said:
You should start a thread on this, I'd like to follow your progress. While the carPC market has kind of driven off a cliff, I still see lots of upside to it in terms of flexibility and running something better than the phone OSs.

I agree... I will be able to link a tablet to my stand alone so this is something I have been considering as well

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
IPad dash mods are popular, they either use the iPad as the headunit or have the headunit behind it and link the 2 with Bluetooth for car audio.

Now having it display engine info with a obd2 port also possible, I would like to see it communicate with a standalone software.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
BoostMonger;1981240 said:
IPad dash mods are popular, they either use the iPad as the headunit or have the headunit behind it and link the 2 with Bluetooth for car audio.

Now having it display engine info with a obd2 port also possible, I would like to see it communicate with a standalone software.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't want to use a crappy ipad or apple product for something like this lol. Not enough customization and freedom.