What did you do to your supra today? Pics

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
today cleaned out the garage to get the car in so i can rebuild the r154. i just saved $67 on my rebuild on marlin's site for 4th of july sale...litterally got it last min, email says 11:59.
got the works, rebuild kit, bearing retainer, 1-2 fork, thrust washer, and even got the snap ring pliers and got a sticker for the toolbox. then i went on driftmotion to get their 3-4 fork and the stake nut they say might get damaged in the process.

tomorrow a bud and i are pulling the trans and im hoping to have it back on the ground this time next week. pics to come afterwards

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Got Chic-Fil-A on my way home from work and the assistant manager asked me if I wanted to sell my car, I said no of course, and he then asked would I sell it, again no, he was bummed but said it was really hard to find one in such good condition and asked me about it THEN the cute chick who was talking to me before he came in said, "He'll give you a ride in it though" you referring to me giving him a ride and I should have fucking said, "Maybe but I rather give you a ride *wink*". FUUUUUUUU the awesome stuff to say always comes to me right after the conversation is over! So yea everyone at that Chicfila seems to really like my car because the last 4 times I've gone there I've gotten compliments and such.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
got the trans on the ground today...damn was it simple!

has anyone else had to turn the trans counterclockwise about 90* to get it to clear the tunnel? seems like the space where the starter sits is too wide for it to come straight out no matter what angle the motor/trans is and it only cleared when i rotated the trans and still needed a bit of wiggling...i wonder if this is why the tsrm clutch procedure shows installing it on the trans?

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Drove home from work this morning in a really bad thunder storm. It started pouring, and I mean hard pouring, at about 4:40 am. I got out of work at 7 am and it was still pouring just as hard. Man was the ride home fun! Hitting every huge puddle I saw at 40 MPH or faster. I was really really surprised at how well this car takes deep puddles at higher speeds. If I drove any of my other cars through puddles that fast I'd get pulled hard towards the puddle. My supra barely budged. Maybe its my tires..

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
suprajztwenty;1950861 said:
got the trans on the ground today...damn was it simple!

has anyone else had to turn the trans counterclockwise about 90* to get it to clear the tunnel? seems like the space where the starter sits is too wide for it to come straight out no matter what angle the motor/trans is and it only cleared when i rotated the trans and still needed a bit of wiggling...i wonder if this is why the tsrm clutch procedure shows installing it on the trans?
The only problem dropping the R154 gives me is the starter. I really want to get a started with threaded holes to make this easier, the top bolt/nut on the starter is so far my least favorite fastener anywhere on the A70 chassis.

No, I did not have to rotate the transmission at all to get it clear the tunnel. I had plenty of room to get that bump on the bellhousing to clear... But then I removed/installed it the way that the TSRM says. (Funny thing that. I find that if I follow TSRM procedures on things, they go smoother.)

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
Dan_Gyoba;1950874 said:
The only problem dropping the R154 gives me is the starter. I really want to get a started with threaded holes to make this easier, the top bolt/nut on the starter is so far my least favorite fastener anywhere on the A70 chassis.

No, I did not have to rotate the transmission at all to get it clear the tunnel. I had plenty of room to get that bump on the bellhousing to clear... But then I removed/installed it the way that the TSRM says. (Funny thing that. I find that if I follow TSRM procedures on things, they go smoother.)

crazy how instructions work huh? i say fuck the system, i dont wanna remove the pressure plate and clutch yet....whateva, whateva-i do what i want.

maybe going back in with the pp+disc on the input shaft might give enough clearance to go in without turning.

agreed with the starter, but i didnt have THAT big of a problem with it. #1 worst fastener on the mk3 - any one of the factory camber bolts. starter bolt might be like #4-5 for me...i guess i have magic fingers. i just held the bolt head with one finger or maybe it was a thumb (thats what she said) i think i had enough room to get my other hand up and spin it off with one finger...perks of having it apart multiple times...though this is my first time pulling the trans by itself.

on the same topic, if i had an aluminum welder that was worth a damn id tack a piece of flat so that when the bolt is flush with the starter or bellhousing itd keep one end or the other from turning until the bolt is out. a tap/die idea crossed my mind but youd need a larger bolt and larger hole (weaker) and even worse youd be threaded into aluminum which isnt exactly my first choice in the list of solutions...im sure someones got a better method.
edit: fucking cake walk, weld on a finger to the bolt so which ever way it goes the finger acts as a stop. kinda like a ford bolt like this
158373d1340315536-ford-racing-adjustable-handling-pack-m-fr3-mgtaa-h-r-camber-bolt-stock-bolt.jpg

during the rebuild/upgrade i dont think ill do a writeup or anything like that but ill try and take pics along the way and issues i run into.

wish me luck guys.

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
Added an HKS turbo timer.

Also changed to rear speakers to 4" PolK Audios, and the front speakers to 6.5" Sony's. According to what I've read, mine is one of the late '91's to have the 6.5" door speakers...

Attachments

• Timer (2)1.jpg
    Timer (2)1.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 34

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I have an STP on there now but this engine is on its last leg and it came as a deal with the oil. I'm saving for a new engine so I'm keeping it cheap for now.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
yeah, 7mge...fuck it, lol.

just found out how similar our r154's are to jeep ax15 and gm ar/ma-5 (solstice/sky/colorado/wtf gm...) watched the ax15 rebuild process on youtube, not exactly as tsrm says but damn it looks real close inside.
mc/dm parts arrive tomorrow, let the snap rings fly.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Austin2048;1951329 said:
I have an STP on there now but this engine is on its last leg and it came as a deal with the oil. I'm saving for a new engine so I'm keeping it cheap for now.

When my local store has deals that include fram and only fram I, in all seriousness, leave the filter at the store. That Fram shit isn't coming in my garage. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
suprarx7nut;1951495 said:
When my local store has deals that include fram and only fram I, in all seriousness, leave the filter at the store. That Fram shit isn't coming in my garage. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This will be the last from I buy. But what makes fram so bad? I used to buy them all the time