What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Picked up the pin. Yay.

Timing belt installed. I want to get the lower timing cover powder coated before I install it. It at the very least needs to be cleaned up since it's disgusting and greasy.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Word of advice when putting on the timing belt or replacing a front main seal, DO NOT PUT THE TIMING GEAR IN THE WRONG WAY. Make sure you put it on as shown above. Learn from my retarded mistakes.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
e6u6aha2.jpg
Probably the easiest water pump install I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Something I noticed while flushing the system, the coolant in the radiator was normal green but what came out of the block was brown...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372555553282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372555553282.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 28

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Shane, your radiator looks like it's going to bust man lol

Dan_Gyoba;1949238 said:
I just REALLY hope that I put the front main seal in the right way underneath it. :p
Lol as long as you put it in the same way the old was and it sits flush you should be fine. I made the mistake of putting my timing gear on backwards when I replaced my front main seal and ended up fucking shit up but luckily I found a timing gear at a junkyard off of an 87 or 88 MK3, very rare to find any supra at a junkyard in my area I got very lucky, and when i started the car lets just say shit got fucked up but surprisingly not badly. Took the car to my friend's shop and we cleaned up the area, replaced the seal and put the cleaned junkyard timing gear on and fired her up. It somehow had a compression problem for cylinders 3 and 4 when we did a leak and compression test but after we finished putting her back together and checked the timing multiple times then fired her up again, purred like a kitten and ran like nothing happened. She's been running well ever since. I swear this motor fixes itself sometimes.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Doat;1949254 said:
Shane, your radiator looks like it's going to bust man lol

Lol yeah.. its not leaking though and seemed to flow ok when I flushed it so idk. It's on my list of things to do along with electric fan and a/c delete.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Shane;1949262 said:
Lol yeah.. its not leaking though and seemed to flow ok when I flushed it so idk. It's on my list of things to do along with electric fan and a/c delete.
AC delete... Good thing you don't live in Texas lol AC delete this time of year is suicide.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Doat;1949263 said:
AC delete... Good thing you don't live in Texas lol AC delete this time of year is suicide.

PO managed to kill the condensor so might as well. Luckily it doesn't get terribly hot in Oregon.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Damn that sucks my car wasn't driven for 3 years or so before I bought it and all I had to do was recharge the system, it had R134 valves, and it still works like a charm and blows cold especially at night it's freezing.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I have a car.

I have a working car.

I have a FUCKING WORKING CAR NOW!!!!!

I have a FUCKING WORKING CAR IN MY DRIVEWAY, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

About DAMN TIME!!!

Okay. Some things left to do.

1: Power steering makes noise due to an air bubble somewhere in the system. Still looking for a way to bleed that out.
2: Temp gauge, oil gauge, and stock RPM gauge not working. Suspect a ground wire did not get connected (was probably missing from the new ECU) as everything has been traced out correctly. Will run a new ground wire from the harness to a good ground point inside the dash to fix that. Removed Apexi RPM elec gauge because it was redundant (SAFC shows RPMs fine).

(NOTE: Stock RPM gauge has already been replaced with the SAFC and Zeitronix units in its place on the dash, but want the temp and oil gauges working like they're supposed to anyway.)

3: Can't run the turbo harder than 1lb or more until after 500mi. This will break it in good and proper. As a result, she only has a baseline tune on her now, still need to do a real good tune once I can go harder on the boost.
4: Inspecion sticker expired 08/2012. Oops.
5: Replace the fan thermostat from the electric setup because it isn't cutting them on when it heats up. Also using a "dongle" wire to cut the fans on/off as needed, so it will need to be wired up to an ignition source later.
6: NO A/C YET. Needs a few things to get that back (lines, fittings, etc...).
7: Turbo blanket to go on after 500mi. to allow for residue to properly burn off turbo.
8: Under hood cleanup.
9: Swap out master cylinder gaskets and booster gasket to stop slow leak at booster.

More costly endeavours left to do...

1: 18" wheels and tires.
2: BBK kit.
3: Paint job.
4: Refresh interior (i.e. - REMOVE THE BURGUNDY PROJECT).
5: Harness race seats, 5-point harnesses, harness bar.
6: 550cc injectors and top-feeding rail.

As she sits now: 100% driveable, will need to keep off of boost for 500mi. but she purrs like a panther. Gets on the skinny pedal FAST, BOOSTS FAST, so granny driving for awhile before we get her on the dyno and tune her proper.

Awesome.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Drove mine to the beach furthest I drove it yet... Cruises nice at 80... Went with a few of my buddy's one is a 2012 wrx all done up and a old fc rx7. Got more looks and compliments then both of then lol... Love this car

Then I fit bumper to bumper traffic for 40 min. I was afraid that it would over heat so I turned the heat up all the way to try and help a little.. It was already 85 degrees out so I was sweeting for 40 min.... Sucked but worth it

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
That is another thing I love about MK3s you get more attention than you would expect mine still turns heads and gets compliments and it's nothing special, it's just stock.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Ya I'm Only 18 so this car is older then me.. Most kids my age don't know what my car is at all. But when ever I get compliments it's either Motörheads or older guys lol they always say mannnn I remember when I use to have one of these or my buddy use to have one hahaha one guy asked me if it was still fast...

Sometimes I like not getting alot of attention either keeps me under the radar a little. I still get lots of attention but only from people who know what a great car these are

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am 23 so my car is a couple years younger than I am but it has aged a lot better lol. I also get compliments from car guys and older guys, one guy told me his dad used to have one just like mine and loved it and this one older man absolutely loved it and told me how his dad had one and passed it down to him and he loved it for many years until it got totaled. It put such a big smile on his face when I let him sit in the car and start it up his wife was so happy she was tearing up and he almost did too. Amazing what something as simple as a car can do to someone. I don't really care for kids this generation to give me compliments because they just want to ruin the car by slamming it, have stupid negative camber with tires that don't fit the rims, and stickers all over it. I've taken my car to a car meet called Cars and Coffee and I parked next to a super clean and modded MK4 supra he had his hood opened I just had my targa off and it got more attention than the Mk4, I sat across from my car with my friends in the GTO row. My car has a scuffed front bumper and some scratches on the passenger rear quarter panel. It really surprises me when stuff like that happens but I think it's because at those meets it's real car enthusiasts and older people like late 20s to early 30s crowd and you don't see many Mk3s on the road now days.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Nope u don't I have seen 6 total in my area. Nh/mass area. 1 is my cousins (been sitting for 5 years now) 3 are at the junk yard and I seen only 2 driving ones lol. At one point my pull yard had 5 mk3s it was like heaven but sad at the sane time.. Especially when u see punks throw a old rotor through the windshield for shits and giggles when they don't understand how hard it is to find parts for these cars or how rare they are

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have scoured junkyards in my area and only found 1 that has an 87 or 88 NA mk3 in it and it's picked clean. They are very hard to find in my area but they might be easier to find if I travel south but that is a long drive in Houston lol.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Damn that is cheap luckily my interior is damn near mint other than the speaker grills with some rust like color on it and my stupid coin holder lid doesn't pop open when I push it.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
i set out to dial in my new turbo/QSV set up today, everything was garbage and it was getting hot so i went home a couple hours, and while seeing if the QSV was able to open i saw the hose to my wastegate had a hole burned in it. fixed that and went back out, no matter what cranked the boost controller at (that controlled the QSV) spool was unaffected, and this time it would have rich moments til the methanol stopped spraying at all, then i went home again.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Damn thing woke me up at 6:40 am cause the stock alarm goes off when ever the fuck it feels like it... not the first time its happened. I'd like to rip the fucking alarm out and be done with it... though this is the first time its gone off on its own in dry weather. It goes off just about every time it rains. I never lock my doors either so I don't know why it should ever go off. The security light never even comes on during the few times I actually locked the doors..

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2