What can I do with 2k?

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
You want fast and reliable? Not cheap.

Save up $3K as a bare minimum, you'll be on the safe side if you do 3K + half. So: $4.5K and your options open up a bit more, also helps in the event you have to go diving for small things that add up.

-Ed.T

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I spent over 7k just on OEM replacement parts and an engine rebuild but pretty much every engine and suspension party on the car is new. I still have more to do though.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
look around in the for sale section on here and sf. you can find a stockish rebuilt 7mgte mhg long block for about 1200 give or take a few hundered. just make sure its from a respected member that knows there shit. now with the 800 left you can use that for just little odds and ends to finish the swap. just settle with a mainly stock 7mgte then after you have it for a while and get it running good then go into mods. going from a ge to gte will be plenty of power for you at first. until the craving for more kicks in.

to those who say you can't do it with 2k they are wong. you just don't have enough for mods but those can come latter. the swap will keep you plenty busy.

and you goal is only 400. shit that can be done with a stock hg/arp's. 400rwhp isn't shit for a 7m as far as stressing the stock rods and pistons. just don't let it get too lean.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well, if you like the car and the automatic but want something faster its worth finding a 7MGTE and rebuilding it, then sourcing all of the parts you need for the swap. If you search this forum there is a few complete lists of the parts you need for the conversion.

I think you could buy, and build a reliable 7MGTE for $2500. Definitely do the rod bearings, front and rear main seals, all of the top end seals, head gasket, timing belt, and all of the coolant passeges(rubber hoses) before it goes in the car, the rest can atleast be done easily while its in the car(turbo, alternator, power steering, plugs, wiring, vacuum hoses, etc..)

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
I'd keep the 7m,but keep it up with proper maintenance.Change all the fluids and vac. lines,and keep it running so it can be a reliable daily driver.
Keep working hard and save your money.Then when you have a nice chunk of change saved up,you can do the swap with maybe some cash left over.
Once you get the other moter in,your gonna need intake,exhaust and other performance parts to keep you happy.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Poodles;1317606 said:
You can also do mods that aren't specific to the engine...

I 2nd that.
Work on the suspension or get a nice exhaust if the 7MGE you've got now is reliable enough.

If it were me for 2k I'd go:
Rear subframe bushings (a couple different sets are available)
Struts/Springs (be sure to get new upper mounts)
Sway Bars
Cat-Back Exhaust (3" to get ready for turbo later)

Then I'd save the rest towards a 7MGTE swap to be done later when you save up some more.

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of getting an exhaust for under 800 and just installing it that way I can keep it for the 7mgte turbo after I get around 4k. What exhaust do you guys recommend thats as quiet as the stock one cause I hate loud ricer cars(my last car an integra was SUPER loud)

Shlongor

6483 DECM Helos
Aug 10, 2005
Illinois/Hawaii
www.marines.com
Definitely turbo. Even a brand new 7m-GE is going to struggle to gain more than 15-20 horsepower from mods. 158k miles does not sound promising. If you want NA performance, you should look into another platform... unless you're Defiant7m, naturally.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Bro, 7m is strong. Turbo ftw. But build your car before the motor. Like I said before.. But, what do you want truly for this car??

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
make sure your car can support more power. sure you can go faster but can you stop? can you turn? suspension, tires, lines, bushings, drive train, and basic maintenance should be the first thing you should do before even thinking about gaining any extra horses.