What are you reading?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
DreamerTheresa;1121392 said:
I got about 50 pages through Atlas Shrugged before I wanted to kill myself. Rand is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY ridiculously verbose. I imagine she could probably have cut the book by 70% and the story and point would still be there.

Sounds like Tom Clancy in Rainbow Six... probably could have cut more than half the book down if he didn't explain EVERYTHING to its finest tiniest detail, lol.

Still was a good book though.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Im reading I Jedi, by Michael A. Stackpole. Im a total SW geek so I have a stack of SW books. Im also in the middle of Mad Ship(Live ship traders book 2), such a slow story but I wanna see how it plays out lol.

I try to keep one sci-fi and one fantasy going on at the same time. Depending on my mood of the day is which gets picked up.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
IJ.;1121030 said:
Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth"

Read it many years ago lent it to a friend and of course it never came back, was at the bookstore and spotted it in paper back so grabbed it.

NOT something I'd normally read but a fantastic book.

just finished with that myself and it was a great book but agreed on its not something I would normally read. A friend of the family recommended it.

Poodles;1121211 said:
Currently reading Atlas Shrugged (should be required reading IMHO).

If you like fantasy, read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

reading Atlas Shrugged now and just having to power through reading it. Very wordy as already stated but I feel I need to have read it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm in the third part of the book, and while the book starts slow, it's like a constantly rising climax.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm one of the rare people that enjoyed Shakespeare in school so the language doesn't really throw me off...

Once Francisco d'Anconia shows up, it livens the book up a LOT...

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
Keros;1121407 said:
Sounds like Tom Clancy in Rainbow Six... probably could have cut more than half the book down if he didn't explain EVERYTHING to its finest tiniest detail, lol.

Still was a good book though.

Pretty much all of Tom Clancy books are like that, I like technical, but he loses alot of readers because of it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MKIIINA;1121435 said:
just finished with that myself and it was a great book but agreed on its not something I would normally read. A friend of the family recommended it.

reading Atlas Shrugged now and just having to power through reading it. Very wordy as already stated but I feel I need to have read it.

I have a 100 or so pages left (out of 1089) and will go and buy "World Without End" this weekend and grab some King or Koontz to read between them.

I read Pillar's long enough ago that it's new to me again (Memory loss from the accident is a good thing this way) :)

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Tanya;1121362 said:
I used to watch the TV series on Sci-Fi, then it stopped being played :(

OMG.....please, do yourself a favor. Read the books! The show was good, but the books are a thousand times better! They got a lot of stuff wrong in the series on Sci-Fi.

And as Doward said : I read more than God. Srsly.

I recently read The Kite Runner. The book was fabulous. I was really impressed....the story was great, the author actually knew how to write, and made sure to research his work before he wrote about a foreign country. I was impressed enough, actually, to read his other book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Also a very well-written book.

Marley and Me was also very good, but requires a box of Kleenex at the end. Anyone who has a dog that is troublesome and yet the love of your life will understand the need for tissues at the end of the novel. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You still work at the book store? Do they let you borrow books like mine did?

I read metric fuckloads when I worked there and don't read nearly as much now as books have gotten more expensive it seems..

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Yes, I still work there - I don't see myself leaving unless either we move too far away for me to continue to commute, or if they actually close the store at the end of our lease (that is the biggest fear we have right now).

And yes, I can borrow books. :) 2 books at a time, for up to 2 weeks.

Even when I'm not working at the bookstore, though, I read all the time. I can read a 1000-page novel in 2 to 3 days...I am a speed reader

Apr 1, 2005
WA
rtrdpenguin;1121324 said:
The Foundation Trilogy by Issac Asimov

It's amazing how much sci-fi stuff is heavily based off of these books.

i absolutely love the Foundation series. good stuff.

i just finished Proficient Motorcycling by david hough.
currently working on Sport Riding Techniques by nick ienatsch.

yup, im a new rider, trying to absorb as much info as i can.:icon_bigg

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Foundation series rules, although i still have yet to read the last book :)

Just got done rereading David Weber's March series (March Upcountry, March to the Sea, March to the Stars, We Few), currently reading book 3 of Larry McMurty's Lonesome Dove series (the third book is, incidentally, 'Lonesome Dove'). VERY good series. The TV miniseries that the first two books spawned, while cheaply made, follow the books almost exactly. Lonesome Dove miniseries follows the book very well so far also, but that show was done (funded) better than the first two (Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon). I have yet to read or watch Streets of Laredo, but I have high hopes :D

angrydrone

I'm a real Canadian
Mar 11, 2006
Ft. Worth/College Station
Poodles;1121891 said:
You still work at the book store? Do they let you borrow books like mine did?

I read metric fuckloads when I worked there and don't read nearly as much now as books have gotten more expensive it seems..

Go to Half-Price Books. That is where I get most of my stuff. The clearance section specifically. 1 dollar paperbacks, and 2 dollar hardbacks. Also Goodwill is a great place. Some are 1 paper or 2 hard, but others have variable prices. Picked up a Baldacci paperback for 35 cents in almost perfect condition.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
iwannadie;1121411 said:
Im reading I Jedi, by Michael A. Stackpole.

That's a great book. It's one of the few Star Wars books that is actually well written and original.

I'm currently reading the Ender series by Orson Scott Card.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The Arab Mind - Raphael Patai

Opens your eyes up as to how the Arabs in general think...nothing like anyone of European or American heritage.