What are good brakes

alucardunit1

Apr 5, 2011
Lee's Summit
I am at the stage now where i am needing new brakes and am wondering about any recommendations as far as slotted or drilled and slotted or what.

Last edited:

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I'd recommend something bigger. Cobra Calipers, rotors, and oem pads will out perform slotted & upgraded pads for the supra. More surface area and two pistons to clamp down. I'll be the judge off that as soon as i have mine together.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Drilled, definately not (unless you like cracks), slotted maybe, but it's still a waste.

There's not a whole lot of mass to work with, so outside of a good set of aggressive pads and quality rotors (ones without slots or holes), there's not much you can do. Going bigger is the better option if you can afford it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tho the brakes are pretty decent with good pads and stock rotors, once you start modding it all that kinda goes out the window. Bigger brakes are the only option.

You can make a custom bbk with generic 13in rotors and some wilwood superlite calipers and just get a bracket made up.
Do the dowards 13in cobra kit.
Or buy the arz kit.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nick M;1725244 said:
Is that all you have to offer? Tis true what I said. I myself won't strip the car either. I have it for a reason.

Even losing that much weight, the brakes are sorely lacking for aggressive driving (I'd know, my front rotors are blued from the abuse). MKIV is lighter and still runs much larger brakes...

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
I have been searching options for a while. Really depends on budget. Arz has the best looking solutions IMO and they range from midrange to super expensive budget wise. Otherwise better pads and a fluid change will do u a world of good.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
On a budget I would upgrade the brake lines to braided stainless steel and put in a high quality brake fluid (ATE SuperBlue is what I use) along with more aggressive pads. If you have the cash and actually want to stop, the ARZ performance setup with Wilwood 13" slotted rotors and Wilwood 4-piston calipers is the way to go. This is what I have (along with the upgraded brake fluid, upgraded rear pads and rotors, and braided stainless steel lines) and my tires are the weak point when it comes to stopping. The stopping power of the ARZ setup is unreal. As ARZ says, if you want a test drive he will promptly hang you by your seatbelt.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1725164 said:
Lose weight. The car has big brakes that work really good. They would be better if your car was 500 lbs lighter.

Always wanted to fit the Mk3 stock setup to the Mk2, do a hub conversion, but have yet to look into it much. Seems like a good option for a 3000lb car. :)

That said, I can also vouch for the ARZ kit, I drove his Mk3 to Vegas and Back in 08. Just because they stop great doesn't make them at all unfriendly for a daily driven car. In fact, if I hadn't known before I drove it, I would have thought (with mild driving anyway) that it was just the stock setup. It's that easy to drive with, but let's put it this way: you won't worry about rear-ending anyone else, but you'd be smart to check your mirror before deciding to brake hard. ;)

alucardunit1

Apr 5, 2011
Lee's Summit
honestabe;1725519 said:
What's your current wheel and tire setup? With the ARZ setup you definitely want to invest is a much grippier wheel/tire combo.

I have the stock saw blade wheels, what are wheels that are compatible with a big breaks conversion?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You will need a minimum of 17" rims to clear the ARZ kit (and even then not all rims will clear due to the calipers being HUGE!)
Here's a set of ICW 17x7 (offset +40) rims that cleared wth no problems

EDIT: oops, wrong pic x.x
p1725957_1.jpg

p1725957_2.jpg

And my new rims which are 18x8 (offset +38) that did not clear until I got 10mm spacers
(not te greatst view of the brakes, I know
p1725957_3.jpg

That said, I <3 my ARZ brakes!

Last edited:

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
^^^ Looking good !!!
I had to use the precision shims supplied with the kit to move my calipers slightly outboard in order to get them to center on the rotors properly.
as a consequence my work equips only just clear. Its a pretty good look.