What an owner!

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
This is not a "help me, what do I do next" thread.

Ok I did all of my basic maintenance except for my sparkplugs, waiting on new coils. I did an auto to manual swap because the bad condition the tranny was in. I decided to write down a few things I have discovered while under the car!

First off, I found vice grips on one of the top bellhousing bolts of the tranny (wow)

Changed the oil and filter pennzoil platinum 10w30 pureone filter, oil pressure at about 20 psi on stock gauge, oil leaking from the oil filter ( how?), oil pan, and even the drain bolt (how?)!

auto tranny was only held down by 3 belhousing bolts, absolutely no tranny fluid in it at all, couldnt make it up a shallow hill for the life of it!

I had a code 52, went to rewire the knock sensor, too bad there was only 1 knock sensor. So what happened to the wire? they cut it and tucked it!

The downpipe was shredded so bad, any more shredding and it wouldnt have even been connected to the elbow!

Wheels and tires: front pass: stock sawblade 235 50 16
rear pass: stock sawblade 215 40 16
front driver: swapmeet rim 235 40 18
rear driver: donut rim 255 55 16

I've been driving it back and forth to autozone and other parts places and 935 motorsports with no downpipe and the exhaust gases are giving me these horrible headaches even with the targa removed. They are coming from the shifter since the rubber gasket wouldnt fit where the auto shifter was ( I fit it in the best I could)

I got a really big project on hand!

EDIT: coolant leaking from water pump!

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
theKnifeArtist;1431405 said:
wow. and i thought this was gonna be a thread about something positive.

glad to see your saving it!

trying with all my might... Im only 17 making 650 a month so money is gonna suck! Probably going to replace the water pump and knock sensor right now since I have the parts, no water pump gasket though. Will fipg work on a water pump?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
sparkplug619;1431418 said:
trying with all my might... Im only 17 making 650 a month so money is gonna suck! Probably going to replace the water pump and knock sensor right now since I have the parts, no water pump gasket though. Will fipg work on a water pump?
Yes. But make sure to get the mating surfaces totally dry, and give it at least 24 hours to cure before you start it up.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Gasket is cheap as hell ($3 at autozone).

Why such thick oil?

Oil filter leak could be a few things, check to see if the seal from an old filter is stuck to the sealing surface. Did you lube the seal? Just might not be tight enough. Oil pan, who knows. Oil drain plug, is it missing the gasket (little washer)? Is it cross threaded or dented?

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Poodles;1431472 said:
Gasket is cheap as hell ($3 at autozone).

Why such thick oil?

Oil filter leak could be a few things, check to see if the seal from an old filter is stuck to the sealing surface. Did you lube the seal? Just might not be tight enough. Oil pan, who knows. Oil drain plug, is it missing the gasket (little washer)? Is it cross threaded or dented?

I didnt think they would sell just the gasket, Ill pick one up.

thick oil? I switched from pennzoil platinum 5w20 because I was told by a fellow member that it was too thin! I checked the oil viscosity chart and its cst is 63.4 at 60 celsius and 10.5 at 100 celsius, Is that really that thick?

I am going to try to retorque the oil pan to see if the bolts came loose (being that all the surrounding bolts are loose) tomorrow when its not so dark.

I will try and take a picture of how my drain bolt is mounted, it is too hard to explain. The washer is there, the oil pan looks dented but it seems like the dent is supposed to be there, the bolt seems like its on a flat surface.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
5w-30 or 0w-30 is best, lower first number the better for start up flow (when all the wear occures).

Replace the gasket on the drain bolt (extremely cheap and really should be changed everytime) and check the surface on the pan to make sure it's flat. Easily one of the more annoying leaks because you have to drain the oil to fix it properly....

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Poodles;1431488 said:
5w-30 or 0w-30 is best, lower first number the better for start up flow (when all the wear occures).

I am really not understanding, everytime I choose oil I always get so confused and what not. I have read all the stickies in the oil and lubrication section and still dont understand oil! according to the oil viscosity chart, the oil I have has a lower cst then the castrol syntec GC, the cst's for that is 66.8 at 40 celsius and 12.1 at 100 celsius. mine is 63.4 at 40 celsius and 10.5 at 100 celsius

I will hit up autozone for a new gasket, see if I can tighten my oil filter anymore without damaging it, and retorque my oil pan bolts.

If all this fails, I will start to tear down the bottom end, replace the oil pan, clean up around the oil filter, more then likely upgrade a few things for better flow while im down there.

My girl is working and this car is slowly becoming my daily so the downtime is gonna kill me softly!

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I just read up, correct me if im wrong but cst is centistokes, the cst measurements for motor oil is the time it takes to circulate, so the lower the number the better! Am I correct or is it vice versa? higher number means quicker circulation?

phillyd

Supramania Contributor
Oct 15, 2008
Auburn, AL
Good luck with the project man, hope you didn't have to pay much for the car since you've had to fix so many things.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
phillyd;1434039 said:
Good luck with the project man, hope you didn't have to pay much for the car since you've had to fix so many things.

lol 800 bucks, paid mostly for the body, its really clean except for the primered bumper. But no dents no rust, all interior pieces are still intact, clean paint, body is excellent. Ive been looking into purchasing a rebuilt engine because there is too many kinks to be worked out in this one.

I had a major problem yesterday. I was driving down the road (luckily empty road) at about 45mph, normal speed limit. Started hearing some major wind coming into the car, checked to see if it was from my tranny tunnel (auto to manual, still keeping an ear out for problems), checked my windows, as soon as I looked up, my targa was gone.

Since I have no exhaust on my car yet, Ive been riding without it because all the exhaust gasses come into the car from the shifter tunnel

I asked my mom to set it in my car so she set it in place on the roof and told me to just bolt it down. I completely forgot about bolting it down since I hadnt droven it for a couple days.

I do not care about the targa, I am just so happy no one was behind me, the only thing Ive been thinking about since this is how I could've easily took someones life because I didnt bolt down my targa. How stupid of me!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
sounds like a F&F story...and about the oil, if your 10w30 has a 40* C viscosity of 63cst then yes it is in fact easier to pump than the GC with its 66cst viscosity. I would be surprised if that really is true..

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Oil%20Viscosity%20Comparison%2001.gif

Oil%20Viscosity%20Comparison%2002.gif

its been on this website in the oil and filtration section, I checked every oil in my area and this was one of the best I can find. There were others I looked at but availability sucked.