werid fluttering when turbos done spooling

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
this problem just started happing recently. when the turbo spools up and i shift or just let off the gas my turbo will make a fluttering noise. i have not done anything to the car except k&p filter and custom exsuats. any help would be great thank you

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
ft413;1155959 said:
this problem just started happing recently. when the turbo spools up and i shift or just let off the gas my turbo will make a fluttering noise. i have not done anything to the car except k&p filter and custom exsuats. any help would be great thank you

The K&N makes your turbo intake a LOT louder to you so you may be noticing the change from that however: What Blow off valve are you using. It could be going bad.

V

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
vdragonmpc;1155963 said:
The K&N makes your turbo intake a LOT louder to you so you may be noticing the change from that however: What Blow off valve are you using. It could be going bad.

V

i havent bought an aftermarket one yet. and when i bought the intake it didnt make that sound

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
forcefedsupra;1155994 said:

Compressor Surge sounds like. I had the fluttering when I ran my stock bov. Now I have my GReddy Type S hooked up and run the stocker as a secondary.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
He said it didn't happen after he put the intake on.

Double check the lines to the stock BOV. Did you do anything to the car before this happened?

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
Poodles;1156013 said:
He said it didn't happen after he put the intake on.

Double check the lines to the stock BOV. Did you do anything to the car before this happened?

ok i will go do that now. no i didnt change a thing that would effect the bov. and thanks for the help everyone

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
i dont think its the bov i just checked it and i couldnt blow threw it. all the hoses are new that are going to it. any other ideas?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
ft413;1156158 said:
i dont think its the bov i just checked it and i couldnt blow threw it. all the hoses are new that are going to it. any other ideas?

Yeah thats compressor surge. your bov is not opening and that pressure is being forced back through the system and is trying to get out, and the only place for it to escape is back through your turbo...

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
its compressor surge.. if its happening at low boost then its not a big deal. alot of people have compressor surge. If it still does it at higher boost then you should be worried.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Wait, this is backwards.

The link to the SUPRAS.COM webpage explaining the saab BOV says that if you CAN blow through it, its broken.

You guys are saying since he CANNOT blow through it, its broken.

Which one is it?

Mine makes a fluttering noise when I'm at peak boost and i let off the accelerator, much like an SSQV or any BOV on an MKIV would sound. I also have an HKS filter, and it never made that sound before.

Nothing is broken yet, although I might get a new BOV anyways.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SideWinderGX;1156281 said:
Wait, this is backwards.

The link to the SUPRAS.COM webpage explaining the saab BOV says that if you CAN blow through it, its broken.

Which one is it?

Mine makes a fluttering noise when I'm at peak boost and i let off the accelerator, much like an SSQV or any BOV on an MKIV would sound. I also have an HKS filter, and it never made that sound before.

Nothing is broken yet, although I might get a new BOV anyways.

Nobody has said that... Specificly I'd mentioned the lines to the BOV as if it doesn't have a good vaccum source it won't operate propely...

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Poodles;1156359 said:
Nobody has said that... Specificly I'd mentioned the lines to the BOV as if it doesn't have a good vaccum source it won't operate propely...

87M-GTE;1156179 said:
Yeah thats compressor surge. your bov is not opening and that pressure is being forced back through the system and is trying to get out, and the only place for it to escape is back through your turbo...

He said it :p

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I had the same problem with my skyline engine. It was caused by the bov not opening. try using another one to see if it changes. that would be the best way. I think everyone here is correct.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
SideWinderGX;1156281 said:
Wait, this is backwards.

Which one is it?

basically, if you can blow through both ends, it is bad.
if you can only blow through one end, it is good. but i forget which end you are supposed to be able to blow through.

i suggest replacing the stock bypass valve with the $30.00 bosch unit if you aren't ready for one of the more expensive ones. they are used on multiple cars to include the saab 9000t and one of the porches.