Well, looks like I'm out of the Supra scene

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
My car sold last night and after talking to the buyer, it' a done deal. It's been a bitter-sweet couple of days.

I've had a ton of fun building the car, along with a bit of pain too. While I didn't completely want to sell the car, it was just time. It has served its purpose so now its time to move on. I have two sons, one 18yo and the other 14yo and both are autistic to some degree. This car and the last 9 years of building it have been as much therapy for them as it has been a hobby with me. It's been a family affair to say the least. I was offered more a few years back than I sold it for last night, but my boys weren't ready for it to go at the time, so I said no.

They are older and the effects of the autism less severe now, so we all finally agreed that it was time. I'm a strong believer in God, and the offer was nothing less than a miracle to me. Full asking price and as painless of a process than I could have ever imagined. I know the car will be well cared for. The hardest part is coming, watching the car leave on the truck. I'm sure there will be lots of tears as it drives off. Lots and lots of memories shared with my two boys in that car.

Not sure how much I will be around later, but I know I won't be able to stay away completely. I've made too many friends here and I will never let them pass without at least saying hi on occasion. It's part of what this community is, and it's part of me. Thanks for all the fun, laughs and last but not least all of the advice.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
this was my second build, but by far the most extensive. After my youngest son moves out in about 3 years, I will take on another project. Right now Im torn between Factory Five's MK4 roadster (A/C Cobra) and GTM. I'm leaning towards the Cobra, I've always loved them and my wife likes it too.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Thanks, and you're right in many different ways. Got the money I had hoped for, sure, but I also had a blast with the car both driving it and building it with my kids as well. I'm also tickled that I took a decent MK3 and made it into something that reflects well on reflects well on the entire MK3 community. It pains me to see them reduced to cars that should be taken to the crusher, I've loved them since their hit the streets my freshman year in high school.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I am glad you got what you wanted out of the car and best of luck with your future projects. I think the FF5 roadster is a great idea. they have a good class to race those with my local NASA chapter and once I have more room for vehicles that will be my next.

-post has been edited by Toyotanos-

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
All posts related to the banned user have been deleted/modified. Sorry you all had to deal with that, there's no reason for disrespect like that. No further discussion on that subject, please.

Now back to your regularly scheduled rakkasan Thread...

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i was really tempted on this car... coulda had a southern supra to drive around to replace the pickup i store in my parents barn in hoptown... glad you sold it, at least stick around and give advice from time to time

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Nothing better than selling a completed project car to someone you know will take care of it.

Best wishes to you and live in prosper

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mark, you can forget the rest of these losers, but don't forget to call me once in a while. Especially after Alabama puts a Crimson ass whoooping on that Tennessee orange............lol

OH yeah, just kidding about the loser comment........lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mark, if youre planning an air strike on my house because of the above post..........................I've had a change of heart and I'm currently singing Rocky Top in my best tennessee accent. Please call off the dogs. Thanks.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Life happens and things change... Thanks for all the years, and the ups/downs. Please do pop in from time-to-time. You'll be missed.

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Sorry you had to let her go. Glad to see another person will enjoy the car as much as you have. Just remember, you built it an no matter what he may be the new owner, but she'll always be your car.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
suprahero;1966071 said:
Mark, if youre planning an air strike on my house because of the above post..........................I've had a change of heart and I'm currently singing Rocky Top in my best tennessee accent. Please call off the dogs. Thanks.

Jay, you're only saying that because deep down inside, you know that the Tide is going to lose to the men of Tennessee! LOL! No worries my friend, we will always be friends well beyond any cars we might own. Well, that Tide infection you have might cause problems down the line, but Im sure we can work through that ;).

Satan;1966314 said:
Life happens and things change... Thanks for all the years, and the ups/downs. Please do pop in from time-to-time. You'll be missed.
No worries brother, I will be here. This community has given me too much for me to walk away from it and I know I need to give a little back (just ask IJ ;) ).

AnubisMK3;1966439 said:
Sorry you had to let her go. Glad to see another person will enjoy the car as much as you have. Just remember, you built it an no matter what he may be the new owner, but she'll always be your car.
Yes, very true. I tried explaining the love affair to my wife so she could understand the state of depression a man gets when they let their car go. You tear a car down to the nuts and bolts, then you rebuild it. You pick out the color, the parts....you basically build another car with your bare hands and you just get attached to it. It's an extension of you; it's who you are in a sense. It can be very hard to let it go.....

With that, it's 100% a done deal. I woke up early this morning to get her cleaned and ready for her long trip. The car carrier was to arrive at 8:30am to pick her up. I woke up at 5am to wash the car and vacuum it out one last time so I could get a few pictures of it with my boys before they left for school.

Since this had been a family affair, I wanted to do something for my boys (more specifically, my youngest because he's very attached). I told my son that I would pick him up from his church function last night so he could get one last ride. Once I got there. I threw him the keys and let him drive it around the parking lot for bout 15 minutes. Since he's only 14 years old and has driven much AND he's so attached, he was nothing but grins from ear to ear. With that, i'm happy.

20130926_082136_zpsf283ccac.jpg
20130926_082114_zps3ebe9ca1.jpg
20130926_082020_zpsc1633a52.jpg
20130926_082049_zpsda0351a4.jpg
20130926_082009_zps6d22a85b.jpg

And here's one of the last pics I had taken with the car. If one word could sum up this picture, it's pride. Hard day indeed.....

Attachments

• 20130926_082009.jpg
    20130926_082009.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20130926_082114.jpg
    20130926_082114.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20130926_084417_zpse0085a6b.jpg
    20130926_084417_zpse0085a6b.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
What a great guy..........

1 He's a former MKIII owner, gotta love that.
2 He defends our rights and freedom, gotta love that.
3 He's a Tennessee fan, gotta love..........two out of three isn't bad. Roll Tide

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
rakkasan;1965409 said:
this was my second build, but by far the most extensive. After my youngest son moves out in about 3 years, I will take on another project. Right now Im torn between Factory Five's MK4 roadster (A/C Cobra) and GTM. I'm leaning towards the Cobra, I've always loved them and my wife likes it too.

I have a buddy who built the Type 65 Coupe with custom touches and put a 460BB in it and loves it. Best of luck with your future ventures.

Chris