Well, I went to the track last night... again

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
HommerSimpson;958666 said:
Nice... Next trip to Drag strip. Leave a little easyer hu? From everything I have read on here id say you are leving way to hard...In drag racing you want some tire spin off line.. Not alot but spining tires for first 10 feet or so enough... Simple fact Lota HP + LOTA traction = broke parts... no if ands or butts about it...if not rear end gears then axel or drive shaft or clutch exploding... And if you are really Dumping hard @ high RPM's i hope you never have a clutch explode on you.. it wont kill you .. but it damn sure can lame you to were you wont drive a stick again.

As i said. I left on my set-up 5200RPM with 8PSI making 1.5 and 1.6 60fts. IMO, it's the rear end being old and that is all. Craig is leaving on a mere 4000RPM.

Craig runs a Spec Multi disk like me and is SFI spec. It won't explode and if it did, it would be safer than others.

Duane

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
upgradedsupra;958651 said:
Remember also that this diff is probably the original, as in never taken apart. (I know it's not the OEM for this particular car) Am I right as far as that being an old diff Craig? I have had many launches on my set-up and never any problems.

Funny thing is that I keep saying that I run 1.5 and 1.6 60fts and have not any problems. My diff was rebuilt and is OEM spec. I have over 200 passes on it now ;) (Not saying that i won't but I haven't thus far)

I moved this to Drag section also.

Duane

Yea this was an original out of a 87 turbo

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
upgradedsupra;958679 said:
As i said. I left on my set-up 5200RPM with 8PSI making 1.5 and 1.6 60fts. IMO, it's the rear end being old and that is all. Craig is leaving on a mere 4000RPM.

Craig runs a Spec Multi disk like me and is SFI spec. It won't explode and if it did, it would be safer than others.

Duane
I'd like to see a dyno sheet on both cars to compare the Tq numbers of each launch!

HommerSimpson;958666 said:
IJ have pics of his 9 inch rear ?

Yes but it's not a Mullet 9" install even fabricating most of it myself I still have more $ in it than most have in their entire cars here.

I farmed out the Stubs and Axles to a race shop and used the very best components I could source when buildiing it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tun_x;959285 said:
Whats wrong with mullets?

B00005MEV2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
IJ.;959282 said:
Bryan: LMAO here for real I saw you'd posted and knew exactly what you'd post without having to open the thread!!

Yours is far from "Mullet" :)

You know me too well Ian :)

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
That's what happens with no pinion bearing preload. An inherent problem with crush collars over time is they fatigue and bearing preload disappears. A crush collar eliminator resolves this problem. A MKIII rear will hold up fine for you, just get one that's been properly gone through.

Twin 1jz

Aug 7, 2007
San Juan
I've seen that before plenty of times. You should be running 3.73 or 3.91 gears. If you run 4.10 that might never happen if launched properly. The only times it has happened to me on a mk3 is with the 3.73. Bias ply will be softer on the drive train too. If looking for gear, the 8" ones from a v6 or turbo toyota truck will fit. I think the factory ones are stronger than the aftermarket ones. I have had plenty of passes on them but I learned the radials shortened their life dramatically.

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
joliroger4;966691 said:
That's what happens with no pinion bearing preload. An inherent problem with crush collars over time is they fatigue and bearing preload disappears. A crush collar eliminator resolves this problem. A MKIII rear will hold up fine for you, just get one that's been properly gone through.

WORD. Ive been dumping the clutch at 5000+ RPMs on a set of ET Streets with a Spec Stage 3 on my newly rebuilt diff and it holds up just fine. The tranny is another story, I just toasted another R-154. :icon_evil

Shane001

Racer
Jan 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
joliroger4;966691 said:

Hey joliroger, what part are you referring to as the crush collar?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=RA&P=23

Thanks.

Shane001

Racer
Jan 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
joliroger4;1007149 said:
It is labeled "spacer"

Also in this link it can be seen in the second pic from the bottom sitting in front of the case. This is what creates and maintains your pinion bearing preload.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=RA&P=24

Easy fix:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430339

Hi mate, thanks heaps for the info and the link, now I know what to look for and how to fix it :)

A little OT, does anyone know anyone who makes a spool center for the MkIII? I've been looking high and low for these but no joy :(