weird bov problem and idle trouble

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
first off i have a problem with my bov. its a hks copy i bought from driftmotion and i have it vented to atm. i started having idle issues so i recirculated it to see if that would help. the idle problem didn't happen as often but it definitely was still there. so i vented it to atm again and now the bov sounds completely different. it used to have that typical ssqv sound but now i can barely hear it and it is more of a flutter. any ideas?

as for the idle problem it only happens after the car is warm or after warm startups. when its cold i'll start up and it drives and idles fine. when i park it and come back when its still warm it wants to die and not stay idling. now the problem grew to now whenever i'm at a redlight or stop sign it does this same thing. its getting really frustrating to have to keep hitting the gas every couple seconds to keep it from shutting down. i've checked codes and i have none. since i got the car back after my engine swap i've had trouble getting my tps adjusted right but at the moment i have no codes. is it possible to not get the tps code but it still not be adjusted properly? i'm going to check for boost leaks tomorrow but i don't think that has an affect on idle. it might have an affect on the bov though. any input is appreciated.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
if your BOV flutters, maybe it's not getting the vacuum it used to, and the vacuum leak is causing your idle problems..

check all the main vacuum hoses and report back to us..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I agree. Soft vac lines on the bov will pinch shut.

Also put your hand where the bov vents and see if you feel air coming out at idle. If you have a stock bov would try putting that on to make sure ts not the knock off causeing the problem.

Check your tps too as that will effect idle.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
i have cooleeze ic pipes so i can't put a stock bov on to check. i'll def be hooking up my boost leak tester tomorrow to check for vacuum and boost leaks. i'll also check my tps again and report back.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
haha that was awesome.

anyway i checked all my vacuum lines yesterday and they all seem fine. also the bov isn't flowing air out at idle. i'm going to hook up my boost leak tester in a few minutes. hopefully that will show me something.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
well i hooked up my boost leak tester and found a boost and vacuum leak. fixed the boost leak. the vacuum leak is in the throttle body gasket. so i'll be going by toyota to get a new gasket and get it replaced asap. it was putting out a decent amount of air and when i sprayed some water on it it bubbled up pretty good. so this should def fix my problems. thanks a lot guys!

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
so i swapped my throttle body gasket to a stock metal throttle body gasket. i took it out for a drive and the bov was back sounding like it should almost. but at a stop the idle does the same thing and wants to die like before. i pull up to my apartment, pop the hood and can hear a huge vacuum leak around the throttle body. the bolts are torqued down and all for it so no idea why its leaking so bad. guess i can try to tighten them down again but what the hell is the deal with this?

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Might check the TB and flange for straightness, or try a different gasket. Strange...

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
the leak is coming from the exact same place as it did when i first found it before i swapped the gaskets. so it might be that the surfaces aren't straight or something right where its leaking.