weight reduction

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
i'm sure someone has posted about this before but couldn't find anything, what can be done to drastically reduce weight in a MK3 supra?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
There are a couple steps you could take.
1. Sell supra.
2. Buy a nissan.

Other than that, shes a heavy pig, nothing substantial can be done about that.
A bigger turbo usually solves that dilemma though.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
the supra is considered a "luxury sport CAR",so it's going to be heavy.
replace the seats,hood,lighter wheels,alum radiator,and it's STILL going to be heavy.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I don't want to change the character of the car.

A big change that could help is an aluminum-magnesium block. That won't happen. You can gut it and drop unnecessary weight, changing the character of the car.

supraman7mgte;1618950 said:
the supra is considered a "luxury sport sedan",so it's going to be heavy.
replace the seats,hood,lighter wheels,alum radiator,and it's STILL going to be heavy.

GT, not sedan. Sedans have 4 doors by definition. 2 doors are coupes.

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
how much would it take out if i took out the seats and interior carpet back seats plastic and cut the webbing of the hood?

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
allen600;1618954 said:
how much would it take out if i took out the seats and interior carpet back seats plastic and cut the webbing of the hood?

2il0bd1.jpg

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
remove the 7m and replace with an ls motor, then completely gut the interior and get rid of the hvac system. then get some lighter wheels, replace all the glass with lexan. get a carbon fiber driveshaft.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
supraman7mgte;1618962 said:
augh.ya got me

I couldn't help myself... Really though, if you want a lighter Supra, buy a MkII and stick your 7m into it.
Now, if you want to forget the whole 'weight loss' thing and focus on making your car faster and handle better, there are WORLDS of info you can find on here!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Reiketsukan;1618966 said:
I couldn't help myself... Really though, if you want a lighter Supra, buy a MkII and stick your 7m into it.
Now, if you want to forget the whole 'weight loss' thing and focus on making your car faster and handle better, there are WORLDS of info you can find on here!

A Celica Supra with a light weight tire and wheel combo and a built 7M and R154 would be beast on the street. Reg Reimer was deep in the 12's on the stock CT26.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
allen600;1618971 said:
im already fully built.

You can't just leave it at that! Tell us more!! Post a few pics!

Everyone loves pics!!!

Nick M;1618973 said:
A Celica Supra with a light weight tire and wheel combo and a built 7M and R154 would be beast on the street. Reg Reimer was deep in the 12's on the stock CT26.

Newgen's younger bro has a 7M in his MkII. That car's a blast to ride in!!

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
i have, je pistons, eagle rods w/ arp hardware, klevite race bearings, 3mm metal head gasket, brian crower valve springs, 3in turbo back exhaust, fmic, t61 turbo, uhhhh shit theres more haha ummm bores 20 over crank is turned to get imperfections out and the head is resurfaced too.

346fc3s

Aug 20, 2010
Benbrook, TX
Or you could do what I did, put a LS1/T56 into a 3rd gen Celica and blow the doors off just about everyone. :) 2900lbs, full interior, full tank of gas, no spare tire 23-30mpg and 350rwhp. It was the only one I know of in existence though. How much does a fully dressed 7M-GTE weigh with turbo and all accessories? 800lbs? 900lbs? You could probably save 300-400 lbs with an engine swap.

To lose weight and keep the characteristics of the car get lighter seats, a fiberglass hood, lighter wheels and ditch the spare and the wing. There are other things you can do but you hit the point of diminishing returns and start spending a lot of money. If you really want to lose weight then find a base model car with a hard top, no leather, no extras and go from there.

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that you gain .10 of a second,in the quarter mile, for every 100 lbs of reduction. Before I started gutting my car I would look at exactly how much I would actually benefit. I would hate for you to tear into your car and not get the results you were looking for. These car's are HEAVY, Jay affectionately calls them tanks.:icon_bigg

ninja edit... Missed your last post...Sorry

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Nick M;1618973 said:

Forget the 7m go 1jz :)
But seriously I wouldn't worry about weight reduction in the heavy ass pig that is the mk3, no offense I owned one and loved it, they're just boats...just throw on a bigger turbo, get a good tune, dial in your suspension and be happy with a full working "luxury" interior

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
346fc3s;1618983 said:
Or you could do what I did, put a LS1/T56 into a 3rd gen Celica and blow the doors off just about everyone. :) 2900lbs, full interior, full tank of gas, no spare tire 23-30mpg and 350rwhp. It was the only one I know of in existence though. How much does a fully dressed 7M-GTE weigh with turbo and all accessories? 800lbs? 900lbs?

Speculation is just that. The 7MGTE while heavy, is actually 440 lbs. The 7M requires almost no fabrication to install and the weight is about the same. And the stock Celica Supra weighs a tick over 3000, and only a little more with the 7M, or about 500lbs lighter than a Supra. On the Sonic site, Reg says he has his at 2900 lbs, including A/C and power steering.

An LSx is a great swap in just about everything, but the 7M is best in the CelicaSupra.

slopra;1619003 said:
Forget the 7m go 1jz :)

:nono: