WeezL Wayward home for White Supras

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Just bought another one today. Now I have a Superwhite 85.5 NA Targa 5spd, and a Pearl white 88Turbo hardtop 5spd, and my latest edition is a Superwhite 89 NA Hardtop 5spd.

Picked this up today for $600 from an impound. Its really in decent shape and definately saveable. I got it home, threw a jump on it and it started right up. It needs a water pump though and a drivers side fender (which I have). It has signs of a past BHG, but the oil was good and so was the coolant (havent ruled out a BHG yet, but the signs are good so far).

Im gonna try to save this one instead of parting it out. Might make it my DD and start on the GTE swap for my 86.5.

here are a few pics of it:

89right-front.jpg

89rightrear.jpg

89interiorjpg.jpg

897mge.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hey Weezl, you and my wife have the same seatbelt guides............;)

Good find. Way to save her from a slow death.........one piece at a time........:icon_sad:

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
hey weezl i used to have 3 super white supras one 86.5 hardtop 5spd one 87 1ggte 5spd hardtop and one 87 na auto.but i sold the 86.5 parted the auto and still have the 1ggte. i know where there are about 6 supras im going to try to buy from junk yards the are all under $700 2 of them are turbo nice find

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Just paint them all like the American flag. They just made it so displaying the flag overrides any HOA rules they can think up. :)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
da89soup said:
And it even came with Ricer floor mats!!!
Nice find

hehe, yeah and a ricer steering wheel cover to match!

now all I need is a Superwhite 91/92 Turbo to complete the collection!

instead of starting a new thread about this car I'll ask here. It looks like either the bottom radiator hose (where it goes into the water pump) is bad or the pump is shot. When I pour water in it it just runs right back out. Cant see well enough to see where exactly, but the question is, how hard is a water pump replacement? any pitfalls? special tools? just a quick rundown is all I need.

Also curious about something..this car is definately an 89 (August build to be exact) and yet it has the old style climate controls. It that possible or did someone replace em with the older ones at some point?

Last question...on the speakers that are on the shoulders of the rear seats (basically the middle pair) is it possible to put those speakers in a pre89 or is there significant enough differences in the sheet metal behind the panel?

Oh wait I do have one more question, the car did not come with TEMS, so Im assuming it does not have the "sport package"...does that mean I definately DO NOT have an LSD in it, or is that still possible?

Thanks guys, I am excited about getting started on saving the new "Lady in White"...she was destined for the scrap yard for sure if I hadnt saved her...lets hope she is like a pound puppy and displays her eternal gratitude! I should offer up something to the BHG gods if it turns out its not blown.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
cool thanks for the Diff info... and I didnt figure the water pump to be too bad, just thought I would get a little insight before I tear into tomorrow, so thanks, sounds like I have something to look forward to tomorrow....well today now actually

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Weezl: The water pump is no biggie whatsoever.
All you need is a 12 and 10mm socket, ratchet, 10mm ratcheting wrench(not necessary, but makes life easier. wrench works fine).
Remove the fan shroud
Loosen the belt and slip over the alternator. Remove after next step. Now's a good time to get a new one.. they're only like $15 or so
Remove the fan clutch from the water pump pulley and remove fan all together.
I forget how many bolts hold the water pump on, but the majority is 10mm. IIRC there's a couple 12mm around it, but my memory is a bit fuzzy here.
remove the pump, it may require a little tap of a rubber hammer or pry a little with a prybar. If you're prying with any force, stop as you probably missed a bolt. Either that or they used some high strength RTV instead of a gasket.

That should be enough info to get you through the job.
I'd do new pump, rad hoses, and belt while I was there.

Have fun!

::edit:: I re-read your post and it sounds like it simply needs the lower hose.
Also, the Climate Controls is a possibility. If it's an early 89, then it has those controls. They swap right out with the newer style though, so no worries there.