Webcam help?

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
I recently bought a Lorex webcam and got it working, but Yahoo IM isn't recognizing it. I'm only somewhat computer-literate so... halp??? BTW, I'm on a Compaq laptop with Windows Vista.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
whats the error its giving... you can try running Yahoo messenger as administrator (right click and theres an option for it) or try running it in compatibility mode... (right click the icon, properties, compatibility tab, click the box to run it under another OS mode... try XP or something....

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
wetboosteddreams;1089784 said:
I recently bought a Lorex webcam and got it working, but Yahoo IM isn't recognizing it. I'm only somewhat computer-literate so... halp??? BTW, I'm on a Compaq laptop with Windows Vista.

Found the problem, switch to XP and it'll work.

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
phoenix - I'm about to go to bed so I don't have time to mess with it tonight, but my YIM is meredithmodel. I'll try the compatability stuff tomorrow when I have more time.

Quin - Is the bit about Vista/XP sarcasm or serious? I'm not a big fan of Vista but that's what my computer came with. Any other suggestions? haha

Thanks guys. :)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Actually I was semi-serious. I had all kinds of issues with Vista when I first got this comp and said to hell with it and installed XP Pro, fixed everything and I can actually use my computer without punching babies (yes, I'm aware I just opened Solitaire, you don't have to ask me if it's okay to open every single program I click on). I have a copy I can send you via email if you'd like (assuming the compatibility thing doesn't work).

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
is your webcam vista friendly? Make sure your running the most updated version of yahoo also. if you installed it correctly. it should work. but i 99.9% positive that vista is the problem here. i hate the OS with a passion. allways go to lorex' website and get the most updated drivers for it.

if that doesnt work. remove the drivers and software, reinstall, Restart, plug the webcam in a different USB port and it should recognize then start up yahoo :)

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
It is Vista-friendly. I downloaded all the drivers and updates from Lorex's website and can get the webcam to come on and show a live feed; I just haven't been able to get Yahoo to recognize it. I think I have the latest version of YIM but will check that out later. I'm going to try all your suggestions when I get home tonight and see if I can get it working.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
wetboosteddreams;1089849 said:
I'm about to go to bed

Hurry up and get the webcam working so we can watch this!

Seriously though, I was always told that Vista was rushed to market long before all the drivers were completed. Early users had trouble with printers, mouse and other basic components.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
ForcedTorque;1089955 said:
Hurry up and get the webcam working so we can watch this!

What a perv............:sarcasm:
Please hurry!
ForcedTorque;1089955 said:
Seriously though, I was always told that Vista was rushed to market long before all the drivers were completed. Early users had trouble with printers, mouse and other basic components.

My laptop has Vista and it wouldn't accept the Stinger programs for a while without promising to give it daily massages and feed it in bed.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I could definitely see it being a problem with yahoo not being able to see/initialize the Vista driver...even though the software that came with the cam works fine. I'd d/l and reinstall Yahoo Messenger to be sure you're running the latest version. If that doesn't work, send an e-mail to Yahoo and at least make them aware of the issue...maybe they'll address it in a future release/update. In the meantime, you could also try using a 3rd party chat client that accesses the Yahoo network....like Trillian or Miranda.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
I had a customer come in with the same problem.

We uninstalled everything. Yahoo Messenger, too.

Then reinstalled everything and it worked.

So, try that. I'm pretty sure the Lorex is plug and play for vista, though. so it should work without software any CD Rom drivers.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
YIM latest version is 8.1 Download that, uninstall current YM, reinstall newly downloaded YM, and try again.

If YM != working then try Trillian. I like Trillian a lot more than YM/AIM/ICQ/MSN/etc

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Doward;1090145 said:
YIM latest version is 8.1 Download that, uninstall current YM, reinstall newly downloaded YM, and try again.

If YM != working then try Trillian. I like Trillian a lot more than YM/AIM/ICQ/MSN/etc

Well, considering Trillian taps into all of those for you.... :sarcasm:

I use Trillian for all except Yahoo, because I like Yahoo's interface and smilies better...but that's just me.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Doward;1090145 said:

Pidgin FTW

Quin;1089852 said:
Actually I was semi-serious. I had all kinds of issues with Vista when I first got this comp and said to hell with it and installed XP Pro, fixed everything and I can actually use my computer without punching babies (yes, I'm aware I just opened Solitaire, you don't have to ask me if it's okay to open every single program I click on). I have a copy I can send you via email if you'd like (assuming the compatibility thing doesn't work).

Turn off the UAC (user account control) nub. Problem solved.