Weapon R Cold Air Intake

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hey i just received this piece and i want to say that the build quality and finish are fantastic. With that being said the fitment is not exactly great :3d_frown:. For those of you who have installed them what did you do to make it fit? My MAF adaptor is a 4" from a Mitsubishi that needs to be re-drilled so instead i bought a specter adapter. My big question is how did you connect the piece to the turbo? When i try to use the coupler my hard pipe hits the power steering reservoir and none of the supposedly reusable hoses will fit. However, the piece is large enough to go directly over the turbo and the hoses will then fit. Did you just throw on a gasket of some sort and do it like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry it took so long to get pics up. The first is stock, the second is the weapon R kit, the third is the installed pic.

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
In before someone points out the obvious... ;)

By the way, what did you spend on that intake? I've seen them before, just never paid much attention to the price...

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Pictures would definitely be helpful.

IIRC the price was around 230?

The only fitment issues with them that I recall was with people with aftermarket intercooler pipe kits that ran through the area below the headlight.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I got mine for 240 shipped. So far I still like the kit especially sine it replaces the stock accordian tube and is a true CAI, but certain things are a bit annoying. First it comes with a plastic mitsubishi maf adapter for a 4" pipe. You are suppose to redrill the holes and use a 4-3" coupler. I instead bought a $15 dollar alluminum 3" one and am taking it to the machine shop tomorrow so i can do some work. Second, my stock hoses will not reach where the new nipples are so i need to replace them (which generally isnt a big deal but i just bought new toyota ones like 2 months ago). Third the BOV nipple is to small for the hose (again not a big deal). I will try to get some pics up as i have been taking them but i am somewhat computer retarded. Again, its a nice piece of kit but is not straight off the shelf plug and play.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm wondering if anyone bothered to do any dyno testing with these intakes... For that kind of money, I'd expect a much more user friendly install.

shimafan02

Sep 4, 2010
Kentucky
Ace still sells em I bought one off of him a couple weeks ago. Your right the kit is very nice but not direct plug and play had to replace a few lines and the second bottom aluminum piece doesn't really fit if you have an aftermarket intercooler when your piping is ran through the fender I cut the second piece down for the filter to fit

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1757701 said:
I'm wondering if anyone bothered to do any dyno testing with these intakes... For that kind of money, I'd expect a much more user friendly install.

No competition = costs whatever they want to charge and quality is whatever :)

Need to get someone else making one, but doubt it will happen... (like to see one with an AEM bypass filter on it if it's going to mount that low)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1757791 said:
No competition = costs whatever they want to charge and quality is whatever :)

Need to get someone else making one, but doubt it will happen... (like to see one with an AEM bypass filter on it if it's going to mount that low)

This is true. I was wondering though, how this stacks up against the Apexi, which to my knowledge was still king of the hill for intake replacement on our cars? I still have the one I had on my 7m, wanna figure out how to use it with the stock JZ airbox I have, just never got around to that...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1758148 said:
Well, it is a true cold air intake, so gains would be better, though who knows how good the filtration is.

Oh, no kidding? I thought it was just another fancy filter or Vatozone special brand. Seems I've been a bit rude then, my apologies. So stick the Apexi filter on it, get it to fit, and call it a day? :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Here's pics from Ace's thread

l_9542907c509da40f16308ec8d834cc6e.jpg

l_ab4a3bbfe66f93489548317dc0b5f63a.jpg