Way to much oil!!!!!

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So today I tried changing the plugs on the car. Well I pulled the packs off and notice a little bit of oil on the valve covers. I wipe it away and continue. I pull the plugs out and every single one of them was literally SOAKED in oil. The vavle covers leak a tiny bit but I dont think all of that oil could have leaked in there. Its literally about half a quart of oil where the plugs are.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to fix it.

Thanks for the help.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Replace your valve cover gaskets. You can also try replacing the factory bolts with regular 6mm bolts such as the MK4 valve cover bolts. Just make sure not to overtighten. There isn't anywhere else that you're going to get oil from up that high.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
KevinM;1421272 said:
Replace your valve cover gaskets. You can also try replacing the factory bolts with regular 6mm bolts such as the MK4 valve cover bolts. Just make sure not to overtighten. There isn't anywhere else that you're going to get oil from up that high.

I bought those exact bolts from DM. :icon_bigg
And I was replacing them as well.

Do you know how I can get the oil out from where the plugs and wires go??
Or will it just burn out over time?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Also re seal your plugs (4 of them) in the 3rd cover area. The 14mm head hex head plugs in the spark plug area for your head. Remove them and re seal them up.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
92nsx is right, reseal those plugs too, just get a 14mm allen socket and some FIPG.

I'm not sure if it's reccomended, but when I had the same problem I soaked up as much as possible and then took out the sparkplugs which caused the rest to go into the cylinder. You can then clean/inspect the plugs. Obviously on start-up, you're going to smoke out your whole neighborhood, but it works.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
to get the old stuff out, just soak it up with shop towels. It'll take forever, but it works. Use a socket too when you get almost all of it. Every time you put a normal 5/8 socket on a plug, you'll pick up oil.

rinse and repeat.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
airhead04;1421496 said:
Got the oil out. Most of it anyways, and attempted to get the 4 screws out. But I had no luck with that. Car no longer miss fires anymore.

You couldn't get them out, really! There only torqued down to like 20-30 ft/lbs if that.

Also this is a screw
screw-graphic.jpg

And this is a plug
oil_plug_oil_pan_drain_plug_plug.jpg

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
I got the screws off for the valve covers if thats what you mean.

But the for that I have to use an allen key for, that are in the center, I couldnt get loose. You sure they are at 22 lbs bc thats only like hand tight. And I was putting body weight into it and couldnt get them to budge.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Yep Im sure. There only in alum. ;) and yep it is a allen heard.
BTW this is what I used to get them out. Oldest trick in the book if you dont have a 14mm allen key.
p1421572_1.jpg

Just grab a extra 14mm head bold and nut and tighten them together and presto, you can use you ratchet to get them in and out.

and 20-30 inch lbs is hand tight maybe a little more. Not ft. lbs

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
airhead04;1421584 said:
Lol, thats actually what I was using, the bolt trick. But they are in there WAY tighter than what they are suppose to be then. Which isnt good.

YES they are way TO tight.
Just looked it up on TSRM and they only need 13 ft/lbs :aigo:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=55
bottom of page.

Sorry dont know what to tell you then. Risk stripping them out or fix a source of oil leak. Mine leaked once I had mine rebuilt, but I just had to re-seal them.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
No,

Just don't wast your $$ on some fel-pro or other gaskets. Just order them from toyota. The price is pretty decent for them

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The gaskets are re-usable rubber items from Toyota. 9lb/ft is all they need to be torqued down by. I use allen cap head bolts (30mm length), with a spring washer, and a regular washer, to stop them from backing out. Works a treat. It was maybe $4 worth of hardware.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
^^Thats thinking outside the box

They are on pretty snug now. I bought the bolts from driftmotion and when I was replacing them, some of the screws that were on the covers were basically sitting in there. So now everything is good.