Wattage of the stock block heater?

Bri-Guy

rebuilding it properly
Oct 13, 2007
South Calgary
Anyone know the wattage of a stock block heater?

I am wondering if this might be more effective at heating the oil in my pan by providing heat right to the pan itself. Though heating the block is a good idea as well, and eventually the heat does make its way down to the pan. The stick on pan heater that I am considering is 250 watts http://www.dieselservices.com/html/engine_parts_kits/stickon_oil_pan_heater_p148.cfm

Anyone know what the wattage of the stock block heater is? or have any comments on which is a better solution?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Poodles;1270118 said:
So far as I know, there isn't such a think as a stock block heater... More than likely installed from the dealer...
There was one on mine as I was surprised to find, didn't think that Toyota would have expected it to be used a DD winter car. Possibly standard in Canada, Jeff Lange would know for certain.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Go to your local NAPA dealer for the type you posted you dont want to much wattage they have a chart for the amount of oil you will be heating 250 is a bit to big you will bake the oil to the pan and they only cost 30-40$

Bri-Guy

rebuilding it properly
Oct 13, 2007
South Calgary
Okay, block heaters may not be "stock" installed by Toyota, but they definitely are are a standard issue dealer option up here in Alberta for "all" vehicles. As a side note, I figure that anywhere that sells cars without a block heater installed, doesn't really have a "real" winter.

I'd think that the pan heater that I posted wouldn't be a problem for too much heat, as when using it would be under cold weather conditions, as well as there may be some sort of a thermostat? Well probably not, but I doubt that there would really be a problem of applying too much heat to the pan with 250 watts as oil gets exposed to much more extreme temperature conditions under normal engine operation.

Would still be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with these types of setups for a recommendation, or knows the wattage of a "typical" block heater. Guess that I could check with NAPA on that last bit.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
No Toyota comes from the factory in North America with a block heater. It is a dealer-installed thing. In some places it is installed on every Toyota that leaves the dealer (like here in Alberta), in other places, they aren't (like in BC).

Toyota Canada does sell a block heater for the 7M, however they do not have listings for the 2JZ-GTE. I will check the wattage on this at work in the morning.

Jeff

Bri-Guy

rebuilding it properly
Oct 13, 2007
South Calgary
Canuckrz;1270297 said:
Possibly standard in Canada, Jeff Lange would know for certain.

I think that it is funny how Jeff is like Batman, you just have to summon him, by mentioning his name.....and there he is to solve things.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
dumbo;1271895 said:
But oil turns into molases;)

If I had to drive my Supra in Alberta in the winter, I'd heat both for good peace of mind.

use 0w30 synthetic and be done with it. Zero starting issues with my dd.

Bri-Guy

rebuilding it properly
Oct 13, 2007
South Calgary
Yes, I do use 0w30. Love it. But also like to reduce the amount of wear on startup that is increased exponentially at cold temps.

You know, isn't the idea with most things that we do all about figuring out what is overkill and then being paranoid that we still aren't doing enough?