Waterfall sound!!!

mudbutt

The Count of Monte Fisto
Feb 28, 2006
Little Rock, Arkansas
I have a water fall sound coming from my dash every now and then. My car temp has gone up really high and my engine bay is really hot sometimes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Well it sounds like a ........ Im not even gonna say it. Anywho, did you try to burp it yet? Park the car on a hill and pull the radiator cap off. It could just be that you have air in your cooling system. But it isn't good when your temp guage is rising like you say.

mudbutt said:
I have a water fall sound coming from my dash every now and then. My car temp has gone up really high and my engine bay is really hot sometimes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

mudbutt

The Count of Monte Fisto
Feb 28, 2006
Little Rock, Arkansas
huntin5L said:
Well it sounds like a ........ Im not even gonna say it. Anywho, did you try to burp it yet? Park the car on a hill and pull the radiator cap off. It could just be that you have air in your cooling system. But it isn't good when your temp guage is rising like you say.
It sounds like a what?

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
burp the system and see if the waterfall continues, i had that before my bad head gasket and it disappeared once i got it changed.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
mudbutt said:
If it is a bhg, what kind of $ am I looking at to fix?

if u do it your self you will save yourself A LOT of money
get arp bolt and a MHG....

it will be VERY pricey if u get a mechanic to do it....

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I had the sound after I fixed a radiator leak, burp your system for sure, might be as simple as air pockets.

If your mechanically inclined a BHG isn't as big a deal as people make it sound probably a days worth of work. If you aren't then you probably should learn.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
More than a day's work.

You need to tear the head off, take it apart, and send it into a machine shop to be surfaced flat. That's a day.

While waiting for the machine shop, clean the block deck and examine it with a machinist's straightedge to make sure it's flat, and order a new head gasket from Toyota, and a set of ARP head bolts from any performance place nearby.

When you get all the parts back, another day to assemble it.

The time to put in a MHG is longer than that by a significant amount, as you should pull the entire engine, and send both the block and the head into the shop to be machined.

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
i just picked up a HKS1.2mm MHG. I want to put it in myself but I got a KS code and a tapping at 2500 ~ 3000 RPMs. Sounds like a bearing but I'm not sure

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sonex2000 said:
i just picked up a HKS1.2mm MHG. I want to put it in myself but I got a KS code and a tapping at 2500 ~ 3000 RPMs. Sounds like a bearing but I'm not sure
Do the usual bit - unplug one spark plug wire, start it up, check for tapping.

Repeat with each wire.

If the tapping goes away, the cylinder that is disconnected is suffering from rod knock.

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
It's not loud enough to be a rod knock. It seems more like a valve adjustment needs to be made. and I'm not loosing oil pressure. But I know today that I do have BHG. I got a small oil leak and found some coolant in it. That's not a good thing.....right?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Rod knock can be very quiet. Both motors I have had with this problem were quiet, when I pulled the bearings one was copper colored, but still very much there.

It doesn't get loud until your rod bearings are mostly gone. Like this:

IMG_2639.jpg

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
whatever picture you were trying to load isn't working.....(at least on my end of the computer)

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Pic works here.

Sonex2000: If you got a BHG then it's possible that you got coolant down in the oil pan. Coolant doesn't make a very good lubricant. So you may have unintentionally induced rod knock by running the engine after you got the BHG.

Figgie: That is a very good idea. Ive seen those used, and they work great. To bad there so expensive.

N

NDBoost

milky oil, oil in your coolant, exhaust/fuel smell in your radiator, bubbles in the radiator, constant "expulsion" of cooling fluid out of the overflow tank after a long drive or heat cycle, expanding/blowing out hoses, losing coolant and no traces of where its going, waterfall/gurgling behind the dash, white sweet smelling smoke coming out of the tail pipe at an almost constant rate, compression #'s with greater then a 10psi variance between cylinders.

yeah theres quite a big list.