Water to air intercooler

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Depends on what is important to you I guess.

I prefer minimal pressure drop low system volume so you're not inducing lag not to mention the stealth factor and that it doesn't obstruct airflow to the main radiator as much.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
exactly, I'm with IJ here. I'm looking to lose as much piping as possible. I have a side to side IC with the stock manifold and hard pipes. I'm actually going downgrade my intercooler for the pressure drop and spool-up benefits. Now I run into a dilema of running the stock manifold and re-doing piping to fit a liquid to air Ic and mount it beneith the passenger side bumper, or going with a FFIM and having a smaller front mount.:dunno:

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
anyone ever think of hooking up some peltiers to a small block for the coolant to flow thru after the heat exchanger (right before intercooler)? i think you could drop the temps down some more, get it colder thana front mount air/air.

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
jamesdem1123 said:
if anyone doesnt know what a peltier is it is essentially an electronic heat pump, it transfers heat from one side of the unti to the other, used extensively in watercooling computers. after the heat is transferred to the other side it then goes through anoth heat exchanger, but this one can be alot smaller.

http://www.tetech.com/modules/high-temperature.shtml

LOL, I once thougth of this as well when I was in my overclocking phase. Unfortunately, its not feasible for vehicle applications. Think about how much water and radiator surface area is required for a single 55w peltier. I had a black ice extreme double pass radiator with 2 80mm volcano fans and a 1 liter reservoir. Now imagine what would be required to cool about 100 of those peltiers. Not to mention the power consumption.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
all i have to say with out reading the thread is you water to air ic is to restrictive for power

it's great idea but not worth the money as of now

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
i've also thought about this setup. what all would be needed for it? oc course the unit its self, heat exchanger, resovior, pump, and thats bout it right? if thats the only cost i could save alot from trying to go to the FFIM and front mount.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I found these figures on that intercooler. :dunno:
wgyp06.jpg

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
^^that has the temp at the outlet and the temp of the cooling liquid but it leaves out the temp of the air coming in. we cant figure out the efficiency of the ic without that. kind of an important thing when judging the value of an ic. i'm shure IJ has meashured the efficiency if his ic right? care to share?

(thumbs through Maximum Boost) for those who are curious efficiency is the temp drop through the core divided by the temp rise through the turbo.

E=(T out-T in)/(T compressor-T ambiant)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
St: Haven't done any real testing yet as I'm still in the development/tune stage but on average I see a maximum of around 50c during hard pulls but that has changed now I'm getting more fuel to it up top.

I'll rework the IC pipes and install another AirTemp sender pre IC and I know the pressure drop is very low but again I have to install another bung so I can measure it accurately.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Kristian_Wraae;1071340 said:
Why is it restrictive for power?

It's a hardware size issue Kristian, My last W2A was rated for 600 crank and it was enormous.

If you're doing a lot of low speed high boost driving they can't be beat as an A2A will heat soak like a bitch in these conditions.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
ok. When I look at the W2A intercoolers on ebay they are rated quite high (600+ hp) but don't look that big. Are they over rated?

I was just thinking how much easier the piping would get with one of these. Also the reduced piping length could transform into larger diameter piping without inducing any lag.

I found one that looks like it could sit on top of the engine and you could simply clock the turbo and run the pressure side up and into the intercooler and then straight into the stock intake. It would be 20" pipe lenght maximum including the intercooler. The only issue I can think of is if the placement of the W2A intercooler on top of the engine will heat soak it. Some insulation underneeth might do the trick though.

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Liqu...017QQitemZ270253054974QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It says rated at 800 hp. Should be enough for most people.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I was using a PWR cooler and it's round and quite large for the one rated to 650 crank hp. (6" diameter)

I can't see how they can rate that one at 800hp unless it's ICE/Dry ICE cooled.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
1J i wanna visit you one day and see this pimped car of yours, nothing is the normal route for getting hp out of a 7m.I can tell you dont have a missus by the parts you have lol.