water in the trunk!!!!!!!

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i thought i had the problem fixed when i sealed the wing and replaced the grommets on the hatch itself. this morning i found the spare tire area full of water, and it was dripping from the interior hatch cover. is there anywhere else that i might have missed? is it common to need the rear window resealed?
any help is greatly appreciated............
thanks............... kevin

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
check the weather seals for the rear taillight lenses, I had a similar problem and when I took my taillights off the seals were dry as F*&K and just letting water poor in.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i understand about the tail light seals, but they won't let water leak ABOVE them. i'm going to lay in the trunk and have the wife spray the car with the hose. i'll find the leak one way or another.
thanks for the suggestions guys.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
But in a way it does sort of leak in from above due to these seals. The water rolls down along the hatch seal to the real flat area just above the tail lights.

The rubber hatch seal overlaps the top edge of the plastic bezel of the tail light and the is a seam along the interface between the two. Water then can in very small amounts get in this seam and then the last defense is the seal around the tail light itself. I would check both rear fenders behind the plastic access hatches on each side. Reach right in there and down to the lowest point in the fender and see if there is any moister there as well.

They do not let alot of water in but it doesn't really evaporate very well since it is between the fender and unibody sheet metal and under the plastic surround of the trunk.

I also speculate that the water gets in much more rapidly when the car is in motion because of the pressure and air pushing it back to the tail light area and through the seals. It will be very hard for you to see the water leaking into the car. Perhaps impossible.

Took me forever to find the source of the water and I had even replace my trunk seal and all my targa rubber. Finally this is what it was for me anyways.

Let us know if you figure it out though.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I just had that problem too. It was tailight seals. I don't have any and the whole wheel well would fill up really fast in a rain storm. I could hear it sloshing around back there lol like a small lake. I don't have the money to buy new seals from Toyota so for temporary I just put a whole bunch of silicone along the top edge of all the tailights. It seems to work pretty good.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I had the same problem you are having.

Anyone that says it is the tail light seals is not reading what you wrote. He is stating that the water is coming from the hatch cover, as in the one that is on the hatch under the spoiler when you lift it up.
I am going to say check your wiper arm seal, and also recheck your spoiler seals and the seals on the bolts on the lower trim around your hatch window. Mine was leaking from the spoiler, and the rear trim on the hatch window. My wiper arm seal was fine.
Good luck.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Look at your back window where it meets the back of the hatch. See that black plastic-looking strip running along the bottom? That's bolted in place. if it's toasted (on the underside) it'll let water leak in exactly as you describe. Pull the plastic on the underside of the hatch, you'll see the bolts holding it in. Remove them, then carefully pull the trim piece. I'll bet you that's where the water is coming from.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
shaeff;1845508 said:
Look at your back window where it meets the back of the hatch. See that black plastic-looking strip running along the bottom? That's bolted in place. if it's toasted (on the underside) it'll let water leak in exactly as you describe. Pull the plastic on the underside of the hatch, you'll see the bolts holding it in. Remove them, then carefully pull the trim piece. I'll bet you that's where the water is coming from.

DING DING DING. Believe it was Grimjack that did a write up on it because he was having such a problem with it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I had the same issue when I got my first Supra. That was 10yrs ago. Making me feel old. :(