Warning about RPS flywheel

John Reaume

Master Tech
Apr 4, 2005
Anaheim, CA
This week I started up the beast to find out the clutch was not working

I originally had a stock FW with my RPS 3200 Lb RPS pressure plate with the same McLeod Rev-Lok II iron disc with no problem for a year
Then I went crazy and with a fully built motor SPSSGT975W turbo, AEM ECU, Ect...too much to list (going for 700+Rwhp in a 7M)

I purchased a RPS flywheel from MVP and swapped that with the stocker.
When installed, the clutch slave bottoms out about 1/4+" before hitting the mounting plate and putting it fully in disengages the clutch to the point you can hold the rear tires with your hands while in gear (Car still on jack stands)
Removing the slave/clutch fork makes the clutch engage properly as far as I can tell while on jack stands

The only thing different is the FW and calling RPS directly was a waste of time (JT said to pull the trans and give them the parts to check it out)
Note: If the RPS flywheel is closer to the engine then the clutch fork would angle closer to the clutch slave and create this bottoming out problem.
RPS states the flywheel is the same thickness as the stocker and has never heard of this problem

Well these pictures say a thousand words

Stock Flywheel
RPS Flywheel

The stock is 34mm and the RPS is 27mm thick
7mm difference = .276" closer to the engine and making the clutch fork angle closer to it’s mounting hole and bottoming out the clutch slave.

I've sent these pictures to RPS to find out what they say
This has been checked by another RPS flywheel with the same results
A possible solution is to add washers to the clutch slave or cut the clutch slave shaft down

I can’t believe this!!!
John R.

Last edited:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
john the pics do a thousand words cause there are no pics...just words ;) fix them! :D

as for the problem...thats kinda weird...is it possible you got a flywheel from a seperate application? i havent heard of this issue before and im sure you arent the first to use this flywheel...

keep us informed...

John Reaume

Master Tech
Apr 4, 2005
Anaheim, CA
Links fixed ;)

The other guy (Tomi) ordered his RPS flywheel 6 months later than mine with the same thinkness problem
Both of us went thru MVP Motorsports

I posted this on the Socal site since the SF site is still down

Apr 1, 2005
WA
my RPS has ben working fine since day one also. i never measured it but i thought i did compair it closely to the stocker and noticed nothing different.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It is also possible I suppose that MVP mistakenly has a batch of the wrong part number flywheels. Since you both got them from the same place.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
im willing to bet the same but what other applications would use this flywheel? iirc the na flywheel isnt the same or even close {shrug} ideas?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
GrimJack said:
Something else that uses the same bolt pattern? Sounds like a stretch to me.

BTW, I got mine from MVP as well. Got it almost a year ago, I think. What time period did you get yours, John?

its not that much of a stretch...the 4ag flywheel bolts work perfectly in our cars... thats how we can use the ARP flywheel bolts for them ;)

John Reaume

Master Tech
Apr 4, 2005
Anaheim, CA
November 2004...
When MVP was having a sale and Trent was still working there
Tomi ordered his a few weeks ago

I received a response from RPS (See below)
-----------------------------------------------
Hi John,
Thank you for your input on the FW thickness. I will tell you that I can now justify why the setup that you have will not disengage the clutch. The combination of the disc and the CYN-R-G FW thickness will have disengagement issues. The reason for this is the diaphragm spring's range isn't where it's suppose to be. It's not preloaded where it is supposed to be.
So the problem are provided.

To fix it you will need at least a disc that is at least .340 thousands to start off. This will fix the disengagement or engagement.

Or use the OEM FW.

The reason for the CYN-R-G to be thinner is to be lighter. For that sense the combination to work with our clutch and FW will have to be with a OEM step height disc thickness.

Cheers,
----------------------------------------------------------
I said I was having engagement issues not disengage problems.

Now I called the Mcloud and the disc thickness I have is .32"
2 thousands is not going to move the diaphram .276"!!!
And what happends when a normal clutch wears out .02"...
They will have engagment issues :nuts: