Wanting to start a business, seeking advice

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
I am seeking some advice.. I am trying to apply for a rural business development grant to start my own business.. I've never owned or ran a business before, but have a good group behind me to run the business.. I'm trying to decide between a store similar to GameStop, or a Balkan/American restaurant. Does anyone have any experience with applying for a grant(s)? There is a huge market for both of those options in my area (plus, I really dont think the government would approve me opening up a strip club named Red Beard's Clam)..Any advice would help immensely.. Thank you guys in advance!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
1st, Overhead for any business is going to be a lot! My friend started a sub shop, his starting overhead was 250+ thousand. FOR A SUB SHOP!

2nd, profit, the word profit, unless you are lucky as hell, is non-existent in the first O say 5 years. You will be in the red for a while.

3rd, location, take into account where its located, study the people and the people you are going to be targeting for your market. Remember the economy is hurting right now, and the first thing to go are restaurants. Look at Star bucks, they are closing like 600 something stores and laying off 12,000 full/part time employees.

4th, Time, do you have it? A business doesn't run itself.

And lastly, stress...it isn't easy, are you ready for 6am-2am shifts and you wont see your pockets filling up either.

If you have thought about all this, then go for a grant.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
you would get a better grant if you were a minority war vet with only one leg and kinda blind. But.... guess just being a girl will do ok too ;).

I wish you luck, as previously stated starting a business is not easy......

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
don't even bother....its the wrong time!...economy is fubar, and is going to be for awhile...especially with elections comeing! I'd wait a few years to see whats going to happen.