Want to Raise Boost on 7mgte from stock to 10psi with Oil Leaking... Bad idea??

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Okay, so I got an 88' 5sp Turbo completely stock w/ 105,000+ miles on it back in Oct. 2013. However, it has an oil leak. Its coming from the front of the motor; I think it may be the oil pan. I'm hoping its not the cam seals front main seal! But I been driving it since topping off the oil and it runs pretty good besides idling really low and stalling sometimes. But I think thats because the stock catalytic converters are clogged/blocking my exhaust flow. Just ordered a driftmotion downpipe last week to clear that problem up...NO MORE CATS!!

Anyway, I'm really excited about finally getting my Supra! Though I'm in my last year of college and barely have enough money to fix this oil leak, let alone gas money, I STILL want to raise the boost from its stock setting of 6.8psi. I was thinking to get a Hallman manual boost controller (money) or a cheaper NXS manual boost controller.

However, I don't want to kill my 7m thats leaking oil but its a Toyota Supra, right? These things are damn-near bullet proof...so 10psi shouldn't kill it, right??

Now I know I'm a bit stupid to be asking about raising the boost on a 7m thats leaking oil but I'm too damn excited and broke/impatient to fix the oil leak and then raise it a few psi.

Question #1: Will doing this to my 7m with its oil leaking be too dangerous? Again, 10psi...not 15psi!

Question #2: Hallman MBC or NXS MBC is good enough?

Hallman: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallman-Pro...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd4b12cff&vxp=mtr

NXS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NXS-MANUAL-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3c9db9eeae&vxp=mtr

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
The hallman controller looks like a much better quality.
I've ran one similar to the second mbc and they are very touchy as far as turning them just a hair and raising the boost quite a bit.

I just switched to AEM tru boost, which will be much better. Id get the hallman one though

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
3 psi ain't really going to do hardly anything. you may be able to do 14, and that should pick up some tq. but I can hardly tell a difference between 7 or 10 on mine. doing close to 300whp+tq on 10 psi. any more than that, the ecu cuts my engine off.... waiting on EMS v2 install after suspension is finished.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
only one way to find out. I used to drive around leaking a qt per 100 miles out of my turbo oil feed line, cause I assembled everything correctly in my driveway, but the crush washer somehow slipped from behind the banjo without me noticing (really awkward to work on) I found the copper washer, took forever to figure out where it went. I've learned some tricks since then though. UV dye being one

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Sell the Supra, you seem too cheap to own it and will be disappointed, maintenance is really important on our cars.
The best advice : change your mind about bullet proof, do correct maintenance, or you won't deserve the ownership of this car.
You can also keep your mind and trade with a Civic instead.

Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but hey, it's a Toyota Supra, not a Craigslist Civic

Edit:
vu2y8ure.jpg

Fix that, you won't achieve your 755hp goal without maintenance but oil stop leak additive and a MBC..

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
god, I read his post, but for some reason I was thinking it wasn't BONE stock.

keep the damn engine completely stock till you pull the head, check and (if necessary) machine surfaces, and install a new head gasket @ correct torque specs. you probably will blow the headgasket if it's 100% stock.

don't think I've driven any of my 7m's with any mods on them unless at least that issue was addressed

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
My new favorite thread!

I vote raise the boost...cheap manual boost controller is fine should be able to squeeze out around 14-15 psi without hitting fuel cut. Can always get a FCD later on and get around 18psi. Stock CT's effeciency range is between 14-20psi anyway. Then make sure to do lots of clutch dumping and past redline shifts to maximize the boost. And get a couple bottles of that octane booster stuff at autozone. If you remove the EGR, AC, and the oil cooler that will help lose some weight too. 7M's handle low oil level and pressure so good, and plus I highly doubt there are any other maintainence items to fix on your car...happy boosting!

p.s.- if you listen to the above, your next thread will be something like: "what is this knocking sound" or "why does my supra keep overheating and losing coolant?" But I still say go for it and prove us wrong the less supras on the road the more rare mine is!
BTW can you please explain how you have the money to order a downpipe from DM but too broke to fix an oil leak?? Seems a little bassackwards to me...

Midwest_Mudder

i was gonna say, a full gasket kit is pretty cheap. if you want to turn your boost up without fixing issues first, get rid of the supra and buy a civic. at least their motors are a dime a dozen and you can find them everywhere

these responses may seem harsh, but your priorities are a little fucked to say the least. have you pulled codes to see if your idle issue was even your cats? as stated multiple times, the stock head torque spec was wrong, its not about IF you get a blown head gasket its WHEN. jacking up the boost without even retorqing the head is asking for problems. my advice, echoing everyone on these boards, save the money on the boost controller, buy a full set of gaskets with a factory HG, stop the leak, replace the head gasket, torque it properly, then wait till your out of school before modding it.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
7M4EVR;1991934 said:
My new favorite thread!

I vote raise the boost...cheap manual boost controller is fine should be able to squeeze out around 14-15 psi without hitting fuel cut. Can always get a FCD later on and get around 18psi. Stock CT's effeciency range is between 14-20psi anyway. Then make sure to do lots of clutch dumping and past redline shifts to maximize the boost. And get a couple bottles of that octane booster stuff at autozone. If you remove the EGR, AC, and the oil cooler that will help lose some weight too. 7M's handle low oil level and pressure so good, and plus I highly doubt there are any other maintainence items to fix on your car...happy boosting!

p.s.- if you listen to the above, your next thread will be something like: "what is this knocking sound" or "why does my supra keep overheating and losing coolant?" But I still say go for it and prove us wrong the less supras on the road the more rare mine is!
BTW can you please explain how you have the money to order a downpipe from DM but too broke to fix an oil leak?? Seems a little bassackwards to me...

i see what you did there. lol

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Maintenance is far more more important than performance. Fix your problems now before you create bigger $$$ problems. No motor is bullet proof.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
gp-7mgte;1991960 said:
Maintenance is far more more important than performance. Fix your problems now before you create bigger $$$ problems. No motor is bullet proof.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

i would definitely fix your oil leak before upgrading/adding more boost

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Alright...as expected, I guess I deserve the comments I got. Lol I'm just so excited about FINALLY getting my Supra that I can't wait till Dec. 2014 when I graduate with my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (which has been a long difficult major) to start making really money to afford properly taking this car to the next level!

Even my roommate has been telling me to solve my maintenance issues before as he quotes "going balls to the wall" Lol.

Guess I should just put whatever little funds I have right now toward fixing the oil leak and keep it stock till I graduate. Plus, I've been getting distracted from my school work by search the forums, videos, etc. I need to prioritize things better with school AND my car.

Thanks guys.

P.S. There's no F**KING way I'm selling my Supra! Might as well tell me to sell my left nut....you must be insane!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Its human nature to want what we dont have right now. For us car guys, when we feel 400hp we want 500 and when we feel 500 we want 700 and so on. The guys that are successful in reaching their hp goals are the guys that are extremely patient. Look through the build threads and see how long any of the worthwhile ones have been going on. The guys that rebuild an entire car in a month and have it last are probably single with no kids so they got the cash to spend on their cars, very skilled mechanics, and have the hookups and skills to do it.

For the rest of us supras are like investing...sure u can throw all your money into a volitile stock that might net u some good gains for awhile but sooner or later your gonna lose it all. Or you can have the slow ,steady approach, and after some time you will have one hell of a diversified portfolio...i mean kick ass ride.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
im mobile right now but I will be replying to this post in a bit more detail..

first, OP you seem rather stupid. you want to push an old tired engine that is showing you signs of dying.

second, 10 psi is done simply by changing to a better air filter and a full exhaust. I dont mean crush bent bullshit, get a decent mandrel bent 3inch exhaust with a 3inch bellmouth downtime.

third, if you cheap out on this car, it WILL murder your fucking wallet without thinking twice. do you have a comfortable pair of shoes? buy some cause it'll leave you walking.