walbro pump problems?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I have heard the same thing, but they are all bullshit rumors started by people. There is a TON of people on this site running them. I don't think they would sell as fast as they do if they were complete shit.
Don't listen to rumors, listen to facts and people who own them.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The only problems I've seen are with the Chinese copies...not a real Walbro. But like anything else, even the real Walbro's will fail from time to time.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
My walbro got loud as hell after long drives, but didn't seem to cause any issue otherwise. But seriously, LOUD, like it was an out-of-tank pump. Crazy.

Gunnar

Jul 11, 2008
Belgium
www.chiptuners.org
I get a high pitched noise faintly from it, not noticable inside the car but when you stand near the rear of the car you can.
As for running lean, no problem, the car still runs as rich as they come stock.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I have a set of Walbros wired in parallel. One of the pumps failed and left me stranded. This pump has less than 200 hours of use. This is a legit pump.

I think the failure was due to the pump cavitating. Fuel economy isnt too good yet - still tuning. I left myself a bit short on fuel but honestly a pump shouldnt take a shit because you run out of gas..... Pump failed about 50 yards from a gas station. Initially, it just seemed like I was out of gas. The engine was out of gas... Thats about it; 4 gallons didnt help.

I could have wired the pumps separately, but I would have never known that one of them failed until I ran lean or happened to check the fuse....

Im going with twin Denso MKIV pumps now.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i was going to buy a walbro pump just because my pump and filter have never been changed out so i would rather replace them when i pull the engine instead of it failing when im driving or something

and not to thread jack but how are the bosch and denso filters? i heard they are not loud and are better if you have the extra money to get them, any comments on those?

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
BrandonW;1295381 said:
i was going to buy a walbro pump just because my pump and filter have never been changed out so i would rather replace them when i pull the engine instead of it failing when im driving or something

and not to thread jack but how are the bosch and denso filters? i heard they are not loud and are better if you have the extra money to get them, any comments on those?

Do you want to know about the pumps or the filters?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
p5150;1295372 said:
I have a set of Walbros wired in parallel. One of the pumps failed and left me stranded. This pump has less than 200 hours of use. This is a legit pump.

I think the failure was due to the pump cavitating. Fuel economy isnt too good yet - still tuning. I left myself a bit short on fuel but honestly a pump shouldnt take a shit because you run out of gas..... Pump failed about 50 yards from a gas station. Initially, it just seemed like I was out of gas. The engine was out of gas... Thats about it; 4 gallons didnt help.

I could have wired the pumps separately, but I would have never known that one of them failed until I ran lean or happened to check the fuse....

Im going with twin Denso MKIV pumps now.

So one pump shorted and blew the fuse, so both would not run? I have dual pumps and was wondering what I would notice if one failed.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ any other info on the pressure issue they found?

mine has been perfect for the last 6-8 months. Its always had way more fuel then it needed!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
didn't zum or somebody post where you can get the denso for about $180. i can't remember exactly but for under 200 you might as well get the denso for peace of mind. they are usually in the $270-280 range from what i have seen at other places even champion so i can see why the walbro is used so much especially if going dual pumps.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
around here you can get the bosch for $168 and the denso for $140 (replacement for the mkiii not the mkiv)

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
BrandonW;1295844 said:
around here you can get the bosch for $168 and the denso for $140 (replacement for the mkiii not the mkiv)

New denso for $140? sounds like a knock off to me, best I have seen them is straight from denso