Walbro 255 vs. Stock Fuel pump?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Where is it that on a high performance car pushing over 400 whp, would a stock MK III fuel pump be superior to a Walbro 255?

Just had a mechanic tell me that the stock MK III fuel pump was better than the Walbro 255 in such an application... and I was dumb founded. Is this really possible?

Then again... the old fuel pump in all reality is ANCIENT!

SO how would it help out in a high horse power application anyhow?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Yeah, I was thinking that, but it's just difficult to understand why a person from this most highly respected shop would tell me that a stock fuel pump can be superior to a "REAL" Walbro 255. Granted there are the fake Walbros, but still.

Also, how much horse power can one walbro 255 go up to? Can you push 500~600? Or does it kind of top out at 500 and you have to go with the dual fuel pump system?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Uh... no... I have a MK III... and I specifically said... MK III, at no point did I ask about the MK IV.

Of course... lets bring in the MK IV fuel pump in here too... surely could that be better than buying a Walbro?

Last edited:

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Walbro pumps are not my favorite by far, I'd go with a Mk4 TT pump any day of the week over a walbro. As far as the stocker goes, I dunno, mine wore out, but if you're buying a new toyota pump you may as well get the Mk4 pump.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
There we go... but say... I am going all out. I want to push 500 hp right now! But, I want room to improve as well... maybe to 600 or 700...

At what point would I have to just say screw it all and re-do the whole fuel system?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I dunno if the NA and turbo pumps are the same, but I've seen a stock NA pump running out of fuel at about 330whp.

MKIV Denso pump over walbro anyday. But if going to buy one new, just get a bosch 044 and install intank.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
They tested fuel pumps in a mag... i think it was import tuner or so,
but denso mkiv out-flowed the walbro... but if your intending on going 500rwhp+ I got a dual hanger fuel pump and two walbros i could sell you ;)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
There are few single pumps that I would trust over 500whp, 1 of which has been mentioned in here (044), the other would be a a1000.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
dang! so many possibilities. walbro, mk IV, a1000, external / internal, bigger fuell lines...

I am so happy! More options! So much room for upgrading!

i need more info still...

hey carter... pm me a price! Very intrested.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tanya;1457149 said:
MKIV TT pump > Walbro

btw I have a 255 for sale, $20, no sock, it's loud as fuck. LOL

Keeping in mind that the Denso pumps have an internal 60psi relief valve so anything over 40psi base+20psi boost will start them bypassing volume.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
But, isn't that the reason we put on AFPR? To control the amount of fuel going ot the engine?

Right now mine is set to 40 PSI? At least that's what it's showing when I am idling....

Is that not enough for the 680 cc injectors? Or is it too much?