Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French Toast

Waffles or Pancakes?

• Total voters

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DreamerTheresa;1224260 said:
Would love said recipe. I eat the hell out of some french toast.

No probs :)

My Mother used to make this when I was a kid and when she died she didn't leave the recipe so it took me years to replicate it so it tastes the same as I remembered ;)

1 egg per 2 slices of bread

1/4 cup of Sugar

Boil some water and pour into the Sugar until it dissolves, you want a thick syrup so not too much water.

Break the egg into a mixing bowl.

Add some cold Milk to the Syrup bringing it to about 3/4 of a cup, this step is important as it prevents the Egg from cooking when you add the syrup to the bowl.

Heat a frypan until a drop of water bounces when splashed into it.

Whisk until it froths then dip a slice of bread turning it twice, drop a dob of butter into the frypan and push it around to coat the frypan then add the slice of bread and repeat for the second slice.

Once it begins to cook then pour some more of the batter onto the slices, check the bottom it should start to darken quite a bit as the sugar caramelises, turn them and cook until dark again plate them spread a smear of butter and enjoy :D

When cooked it should be light and fluffy and not wet inside as you bite in, this takes a like experimentation to get the heat right, if it's gooey less heat/longer cook time.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
IJ.;1224436 said:
No probs :)

My Mother used to make this when I was a kid and when she died she didn't leave the recipe so it took me years to replicate it so it tastes the same as I remembered ;)

1 egg per 2 slices of bread

1/4 cup of Sugar

Boil some water and pour into the Sugar until it dissolves, you want a thick syrup so not too much water.

Break the egg into a mixing bowl.

Add some cold Milk to the Syrup bringing it to about 3/4 of a cup, this step is important as it prevents the Egg from cooking when you add the syrup to the bowl.

Heat a frypan until a drop of water bounces when splashed into it.

Whisk until it froths then dip a slice of bread turning it twice, drop a dob of butter into the frypan and push it around to coat the frypan then add the slice of bread and repeat for the second slice.

Once it begins to cook then pour some more of the batter onto the slices, check the bottom it should start to darken quite a bit as the sugar caramelises, turn them and cook until dark again plate them spread a smear of butter and enjoy :D

When cooked it should be light and fluffy and not wet inside as you bite in, this takes a like experimentation to get the heat right, if it's gooey less heat/longer cook time.

Sounds like tomorrows breakfast along with some Smithfield ham.