Vvti?

SrT4_OwNeR

Nov 27, 2007
blahdy blah
whats up guys.... i was lookin at 2JZ's earlier and i found an engine with VVTI... now i know that VVTI is toyotas VTec how big of a hp/tq boost is it from a 2JZ without VVTI? anyone know?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
SrT4_OwNeR;1030288 said:
whats up guys.... i was lookin at 2JZ's earlier and i found an engine with VVTI... now i know that VVTI is toyotas VTec how big of a hp/tq boost is it from a 2JZ without VVTI? anyone know?

if i remember correctly they are rated at 295 compared to the 280 rating. a usdm is rated at 310 or so

its not vtec its completely different.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
JDM 2jz's make about 340 RWHP and USDM 2jz's with same mods and same boost levels make about 300 RWHP. VVTi's make the same amount of HP as the JDM non VVTi engines But HP and torque is achieved at much lower RPM's. VVTi increased response and gas milage.

All the internals, like rods and pistons are the same. I'm building two VVTi 2jz engines and two regular 2jz, and the rods and pistons are the same. Some think that they are weaker, but I think that myth is busted.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
soapra;1030359 said:
JDM 2jz's make about 340 RWHP and USDM 2jz's with same mods and same boost levels make about 300 RWHP. VVTi's make the same amount of HP as the JDM non VVTi engines But HP and torque is achieved at much lower RPM's. VVTi increased response and gas milage.

All the internals, like rods and pistons are the same. I'm building two VVTi 2jz engines and two regular 2jz, and the rods and pistons are the same. Some think that they are weaker, but I think that myth is busted.

they are the same? ive seen pics that they are smaller... i guess it doesnt mean anything though :D 2jz stock in japan are 340?

it also helps emissions to boot! :D

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
soapra;1030359 said:

Jose, I consider you to be VERY knowledgeable but thats the first I've ever heard of that. Perhaps you just didnt clarify because and I could be wrong the stock numbers are 320chp US and 280chp JDM. So I'm trying to figure out how that all translate to what you said unless they did the same thing they did with the RB26 and just severely underrated its power by like 50hp to abide by the now practically defunct "gentlemen's agreement."

EDIT: Then again you said with the same mods at the same boost levels, so who knows what ambiguity that truly holds.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I know I've seen smaller rods in 2JZ motors. It's not a VVTI/NON VVTI thing however. I'm almost 100% sure it's a year thing. I believe 2002 and on, all 2JZ motors had smaller rods.

My friend runs a 2JZ-GTE VVTI in his IS300, fully tuned, puts down somewhere in the 4XXwhp range, with a huge powerband.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
I have two VVTi engines that came from 2000 and newer cars and they are both the same. Now I'm only talking about GTE engines not GE's. I'm Sure in the GE engines there is a difference, but the GTE's are the same.

As far is JDM Vs. USDM... The J spec 2jz was underrated. I was at a dyno event several years ago where a USDM 2jz with intake, exhaust and front mount only made 300 rwhp. The next car had a full JDM (NA auto to TT auto swap) setup with the JDM ECU and it made 50 RWHP more then the USDM car. Same mods same boost level. This may be one case, but I think the JDM 2jz are not given enough credit. It may be in the tune of the ECU or the fact that JDM ECU's dont have AFM's, what ever it is, I dont think Japan gave us the best setup.

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
I know of two here in Australia(prob a lot more), first one is non VVTi making 256rwkw(343rwhp) with only an exhaust and second is a VVTi making 260rwkw(348rwhp) with FMIC, intake and exhaust. Then factor in the rumors of Australian dynos giving lower numbers. Learn something new every day :).

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
I figured I would clear up something real quick. VVTi stands for Variable Valve Timing intelligence. The entire system is set up to produce more midrange power; to create a more gradual power band, if you will. If you dyno'd a VVTi and a non-VVTi engine, both stock, you would see the non-VVTi power curve appear like it's climbing a mountain, while the VVTi equipped one would appear more like a hill climb.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
SupraMaster;1032698 said:
I figured I would clear up something real quick. VVTi stands for Variable Valve Timing intelligence. The entire system is set up to produce more midrange power; to create a more gradual power band, if you will. If you dyno'd a VVTi and a non-VVTi engine, both stock, you would see the non-VVTi power curve appear like it's climbing a mountain, while the VVTi equipped one would appear more like a hill climb.

um.. :squint:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
SupraMaster;1032698 said:

thats actually what i got when soapra posted :D its like comparing a 13b dyno to a 20b

Last edited:

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
tturnpaw;1033702 said:
made sense to me, so are the differences between the usdm and jdm non vvti are?

JDM had no AFM, MAP based only as where the USDM had both. JDM had different ceramic turbines, USDM had stronger steel ones as well as the turbos being different, 550cc inj for USDM/ 440's for JDM and different impedence and different cams. I'm being vague because I dont really feel detail is needed here and I'm lazy. But those are the major differences, there are still some other smaller things though.. ECU tune was always thought to be less aggressive for the JM but I haven't really seen proof other than the SAE power figures which tend to be skewed.

Obviously Japan is the only one that had the factory 2jz turbo VVT-i, so thats moot unless youre doing a USDM VVT-i NA-T.