Dyno-sheet.JPG

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1035003 said:
The main thing VVTI does is vary the cam timing while the engine is running
Old VVTI does this hydraulically. New VVTI is electric.
VVTI is only on the intake cam, with the exception of the 4th gen altezza B.E.A.M.S. engine. The NA 2.0ltr 3SGE cranks out 210HP factory but can easily output ~300HP with out a turbo utilizing Standalone & sidedrafts.

Toyota has liked its performance so much they plan to use duel VVTI in the next gen scion & corolla to come.

VVTI allows you to vary your cam timing while the engine is running giving you more power on the whole powerband.
So in theory it can give you the same performance as an adjustable aftermarket cam gear but this sets at any RPM range. This can also give you great fuel economy.

The problem with it is its very hard to tune and requires an advanced ecu to manage vvti unless you dissable by changing the cam gear to fixed. Its been speculated some of the VVTI engines use weaker parts. Most tuners that want a 500HP + engine dont really care about the fuel economy and complex costly tunning.

So if you plan to keep your engine stock get VVTI if your good with wiring and dont care about stock HP numbers.

If you want a car to upgrade and run for performance get non-VVTI.

Dual VVTi has been around 2001 with the introduction of Dual Beams on the 3SGE.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1035003 said:
So if you plan to keep your engine stock get VVTI if your good with wiring and dont care about stock HP numbers.

If you want a car to upgrade and run for performance get non-VVTI.

Where do you copy and paste your information from?

VVTi GTE engines are just as capable to make the same power as non VVTi engines. IF you want to take advantage of VVTi you have to pay, but the results are amazing! Imagine spooling up a T51R KAI SPL turbo like if it was a GT30R. The Valcom controller is available with a 264 cam for the the VVTi, Yes, It does cost money but if you are serious about your project, im sure this mod would be on your list of parts to buy if you wanted to do it right.

Here is a vid of car that is used in racing, that is using VVTi. Make sure your speakers are turned up to hear the sexyness!

600 hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LFeHxElWE

Need I say more?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
soapra;1038786 said:

VVTi GTE engines are just as capable to make the same power as non VVTi engines. IF you want to take advantage of VVTi you have to pay, but the results are amazing! Imagine spooling up a T51R KAI SPL turbo like if it was a GT30R. The Valcom controller is available with a 264 cam for the the VVTi, Yes, It does cost money but if you are serious about your project, im sure this mod would be on your list of parts to buy if you wanted to do it right.

Here is a vid of car that is used in racing, that is using VVTi. Make sure your speakers are turned up to hear the sexyness!

600 hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LFeHxElWE

Need I say more?

but honestly that hks valcom controller and cam set along with the tuning that goes with it, well it'd only be worth it if I had a good deal of money. im also not your average poor ass mk3 owner.

it is ultra badass though, I agree.. most x100 chaser owners use the vvti motor and just build it.. thats when you know you have money and potential.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Dylan JZ;1038803 said:
but honestly that hks valcom controller and cam set along with the tuning that goes with it, well it'd only be worth it if I had a good deal of money. im also not your average poor ass mk3 owner.

it is ultra badass though, I agree.. most x100 chaser owners use the vvti motor and just build it.. thats when you know you have money and potential.

I forget sometimes that I can get this stuff state side and I have a great HKS tunner.:naughty: With out the tunner, these engines feel wierd! I've been around a few HKS FconV and FconV pro tuned 1jz's and all I can say is WoW!:aigo:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
VVTI UZ motors have puny rods compared to non-VVTI UZs. Obviously a 2JZ is not a 1UZ but I'm just throwing it out there.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Could that be where the myth of weaker vvti internals in the jz series motors originated from? From the UZ engines having weaker parts?
eric

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Stretch;1039088 said:
Could that be where the myth of weaker vvti internals in the jz series motors originated from? From the UZ engines having weaker parts?
eric

all I remember seeing pics of were N/A 2j rods on another forum and they were a great deal weaker in design. however, I dont remember if they were VVT-i, I wanna say they were though.

and yeah Jose, being that you have access to those resources makes you a lucky guy haha.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Quin;1038949 said:
VVTI UZ motors have puny rods compared to non-VVTI UZs. Obviously a 2JZ is not a 1UZ but I'm just throwing it out there.

I agree with you. I think in the FE engines Toyota did change those parts. In GTE's I dont think they would of done it.

I have the pictures of the rods on my laptop, I will put them up tonite!

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
soapra;1038898 said:
I forget sometimes that I can get this stuff state side and I have a great HKS tunner.:naughty: With out the tunner, these engines feel wierd! I've been around a few HKS FconV and FconV pro tuned 1jz's and all I can say is WoW!:aigo:

HKS tuners want godly money I think SP quoted me more then my entire car setup for just the tune alone & then if you do any mod at all to your engine you have to fork up more $$$ just for any mod thats why I must say a well tuned MOTEC which anyone could do is the way better route.

A well tuned any car with any managment is :aigo: but MKIII owners will most usualy keep their oem ecu and add a piggy back like apexi neo etc..

Some owners even when going to standalone wont have their engines tuned for a while.

soapra;1038786 said:

600 hp
Need I say more?

I agree I even said VVTI engines in theory have an advantage and could make the same power as a non vvti but have the advantage of an adjustable cam gear at any RPM range! The problem is if you look at most 1000hp+ engines no one is desperate enough to add VVTI to the compexitys of tunning with cost to get that little more power out of VVTI engines.
Also I have a 2000 black top Dual VVTI engine right now inside of a 1800lb Opel GT looks like this car but will be all black when done
redgt_top.jpg

So I know Duel VVTI have been out since 2000.

Also I have sourced alot my information from
http://www.billzilla.org/fraser.htm

I also have sourced my information from years of research such vehicles as 2000 HKS Altezza, ROD MILLANS Ultimate Celica, PJ Bonifacio Levin, Top Secret twin charged Altezza, TOM's Supra.

2JZ info come from way to many hours of being a tuner nerd and working on engines.

If you notice the 4th gen 3SGE is anything but weak compaired to the turbo engine this VVTI engine is factory with forged & titanium internals. with compression mods and a turbo kit these have been know to crank out as high as 800HP figures.

This engine has also been substituted for JZ engines in track supras because they are lighter and produce just enough power to move the car fast and keep the weight down but they have money out the azz to do this.

Here is more information and such how to tune duel or single VVTI for that matter and proof you could make 300+ crank HP out of a 2.0ltr NA BEAMS dual VVTI engine:naughty:
inletret10.jpg

http://www.billzilla.org/engvariable.html

Last edited:

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Off topic : I never new that an Opel GT existed!!!! Those things are sweet!!! Lets see a build thread or pics of the car.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Evil 1.3 has a point, if its a road racing car.. near half the tuners I know of have at least one toyota car that has been swapped for a boosted or N/A 3S Beams dual VVT-i motor.. when keeping it in power band isn't an issue than that motor is unparalleled as far as what it does for weight and flow.

dammit now I want one boosted, even though I'd have to rev the piss out of it to get this 3300lbs moving haha. j/k, but not really ;)