Vented DDP glass pack

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
So i am in the process of turboing my MK2 and for my exhaust i have all three inch with DDP vented to atmosphere. I am a little worried about the sound so i was thinking of looking around for a really small glass pack type muffler to put on the wastegate pipe. Something straight through that doesnt cause restriction but does prevent a little sound.

I had an idea of making a glasspack type thing using steel wool but am afraid it would burn up too fast. What else could you use to make the pack for it...Maybe shredded exhaust wrap packed tightly???

let me know what you think.

the pipe is just slightly larger than 1.5 inches and i can find glasspacks as small as 1 3/4 inches. which is a little big but could be adapted if need be.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
Poodles;1183944 said:
Or just learn how to control your right foot so you don't have the wastegate opening...

yeah but that takes the fun outta things. Im not against a little bit loud exhaust if it is for a gain in horsepower...but if I can quite it a little to keep jonny law off me then that is the ideal route.

Buckshotglass::

I am gonna keep looking around and see if i cant find like a $20 glass pack (thats how much the one i got in my car right now was and its a 2.5" )

I will update as needed.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
that thought came into play also..Will probably be the way I do it while I get my car up and running... Them maybe later i can change over.
The power loss should be minimal if at all as long as you get a smooth transition back in (on the bend of the main pipe with flush angle).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seriously, you learn how to keep the car quiet.

I have plenty of fine in my car and it's perfectly civilized when I drive like a normal human being...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i've thought about getting a DDP, and then running a seperate tube all the way back and merge it into the exhaust by the diff or the area after the cat... should still see all the gains of a vented pipe, but the quietness of a recirculated. and i'll still pass smog no problem cause it wont be vented (not like its open on the dyno anyways)

and the piping is pretty cheap too. so its not like that would be an issue...